Skip to content

Small Bernet.... the late season secret?

Farming for Big Game and Game Birds

Small Bernet.... the late season secret?

Postby Gino Bruno » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:02 pm

anyone have any experience with small bernet? cote went down to a seed Co. in the tri-cities this past spring to pick up an arse load of corn as well as enough alfalfa seed so that i could help him plant his property. the guy at the counter found out that cote was planting it for deer and turned him onto small burnet and said that it is a late season secret weapon. he couldn't remember the name of the plant when he got back home and he also picked up a bag of seed for me to try...... not knowing what it was, i said "ah great...... this is probably marajuana seed and we are going to be unknowingly growing some pot field." i planted mine anyway (LOL) and affectionately refered to it as the Marajuana field. surprisingly, it did VERY well even though i planted it in exactly the wrong spot. after finding out what it was, i also found out that it does very well in arid soils that are dry and well drained....... i actually planted mine down by the creek in some really heavy soil. regardless, it didn't seem to do much for attracting deer while the alfalfa was standing........ now, it is like deer cocain..... they are hammering it. the only problem is, it is an evergeen forb which doesn't grow all that fast........ and i only planted about half an acre of it.

evidently, it will continue to grow down to temps reaching -10F which means it should grow here all winter long with the exception of the week or so that we get each year where it dips down below zero. it can also stand as little as 15" of rain/year and temps as high as 140F.

it is fairly spendy seed but is supposed to thrive for 5-7 years before you need to replant........ and unlike alfalfa, it doesn't create its own autotoxicity when the plants die so you can replant the following year.

this is also the "secret" seed in whitetail institutes "Extreme."

anyone else try this stuff?
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Re: Small Bernet.... the late season secret?

Postby Jesse Minish » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:46 am

Interesting. If I ever have property to plant I will give it a try.
Jesse Minish

Postby Mann » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:30 am

Gino
How does it look now that it is in its second year?
What time of year do the deer start hitting it?
JIm
Mann

Postby topcamp » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:01 am

they hammer it all summer or just in the fall.........????????..........i'm all ears............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby jeffhalfrack » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:26 pm

wonder if it's like chickory ? deer only eat it after snow ? JW
jeffhalfrack

Postby topcamp » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:40 am

extension work shows that deer love it.........but you better plant it with another forage tollerent plant as it by it's self........can not tolerate heavy browsing....................
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Mann » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:19 am

Oh Hell TC ! :o
I thought Gino was kidding about planting with Pot. :oops:
Mann

Postby topcamp » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:42 pm

you think that would work........... :o :roll: :?: :?: ........they just busted some operation in the bitterroots to the tune of 8,000,000.00 worth of street value...........to the one that comes up with a workable cover crop............ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

_tc on growing old
topcamp

Return to Board index

Return to Food Plots