Skip to content

something new.......for the fall

Farming for Big Game and Game Birds

something new.......for the fall

Postby topcamp » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 pm

http://www.trophyradishes.com/resources/Deer%20Radishes.pdf.................seems that deer like radishes a lot and corn from the farmers grain bin is now 17.50 a 100.....................that's to damn expensive to put on the ground..............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Re: something new.......for the fall

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Geeze! have you ever seen a deer eat cabage??? man they go to town,,,shoot farmers here will fill yer truck w\cabage leaves free, we can't bait. but man they stomp those heads and chow JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Postby Mann » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 am

Hey TC I'm getting a couple plots ready. Did you try the radishes last year?
If so what were your results?
I know I am doing a small plot of turnips both for me and the deer.
Likely do another in forage oats. Just looking for some other Fall options.
Mann

Postby topcamp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:57 am

i went with winter oats and turnips................a few white radishes in the mix..............they hammered the oats and turnip greens and ignored the turnips.........that was the first year on the turnips and it usually takes two to three years before they garner a taste for them. but........there's so much winter wheat around here that food plots take a back seat for the most part. that being said............most of the big bucks down here are killed over corn............either eating at the bait pile or scent checking it 50..60 yrds away. corn will out produce any food plot if it's legal in your state. the down side is.......after the rut you can forget seeing a shooter over a corn pile in legal light. they go completely nocturnal. of course come hard winter, most of your trophy animals will only feed and move about two or three hours in a 24 hr periond and for the most part........only on moon transit times.

at least that's the pattern down here on the shore but you have to keep in mind this is a high pressure area, where for the most part.........deer are shot year round down here on crop permits [some farmers shooting 100+ and letting them lay].......the ones that survive that for a couple of years [ and plenty do ]........become pretty much unkillable in the daylight, even the does. you have about a 3 week window during the rut down here regardless of how much money you invest in food plots.........where you can really feel good about seeing and maybe shooting a 150 + animal........that's the rut, after that......you have about the same odds as winning the lottery unless someone bumps one and it comes your way..............

but i still play with the plots.........i still make mock scrapes all year..........plus now i'm playing with wensels wicking rope idea also.........yet we always come bag to the fifty lb of corn...........and the moon transit.

i have two images of the pine ghost on a corn pile last winter in the daylight............both times the moon was straight overhead............one right after 12:00 noon..........one right at 4:50 or so pm...............and believe me i have a ton of photos of him...........but only two times did he hit the corn in shootable light...................
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Mann » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 am

:lol: :lol: I hear you about how you can't beat the corn. I dont know why I screw with these wooded area plots..... There are hundreds of acres of corn and beans along with alfalfa and clover fields within easy walking distance and will usually end up with a few "auger spills" around the field edges.
I have never figured out why, but we never see deer in the winter wheat here. :?
I guess I still like the idea of pulling them into a staging area right at dusk about 100 yards or so from the field.
Like you, I will likely stay with winter oats and turnips.
Mann

Return to Board index

Return to Food Plots