[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Field testing with a purpose...

Skip to content

Field testing with a purpose...

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

Field testing with a purpose...

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:08 pm

So, I drew an elk tag in an area of Wyoming that has a good population of elk, along with a sizable population of grizzly bears. In this general area three bowhunters have been attacked in the last 2 years. So...

I started back several months ago thinking about what I was going to carry as a back up gun. Especially as it turns out I will be driving out there by myself and hunting on my own for about three weeks. I could be rendered into a grizzly turd and no one would ever really know. Really concerns as to when and if I kill an elk and am elbow deep in processing it when the short hairs on the back of my necks start to stand up.

The obvious choice is a .44 magnum shooting a heavy cast load. I actually worked up several suitable loads and tested some Buffalo bore stuff. Probably get the job done and definitely offer a little peace of mind. But, follow up shots are slow, I am limited in capacity and a reload would be non existent with a grizzly closing fast.

I have a couple of 10 mm's. I really like that round and some of the boutique loads for it would fit my needs just fine. I have carried a Glock on duty for a couple of decades now and am very comfortable with a G-Lock in my hands. I really contemplated carrying a Glock, especially with the magazine capacity.

But, I have a Ruger SR1911 that is rapidly becoming one of my very favorite handguns. It is exceptionally accurate. I have changed out the front sight to an XS Big dot that would work very well on a dark colored target closing fast. I've spent a lot of years competing in I.D.P.A. and I.P.S.C. matches and feel very comfortable doing what needs to be done with a 1911 in my hand. The 8 plus 1 round capacity is fine and I can reload a 1911 very quickly.

I laid in a supply of upper limit 10mm ammo to test. Most offerings from Underwood, Buffalo Bore and Double Tap. (As an aside, Lostaro was standing beside me as I was touching off some of these loads awhile back. His comment was "I don't think I ever want to shoot something bad enough to have to shoot some of that crap". Obnoxious is an understatement.) They will work and probably get the job done. But follow up shots were kind of slow and this stuff is obviously built for horsepower, not accuracy.

Then I tried some of the Federal 180 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw SP ammo. Running almost 1400 fps and incredibly accurate. I shot a five shot group of 4" at 40 yards that other day. They are a handful but I feel that jacketed soft point bonded bullet is going to penetrate deeply and stay together to break up some critical body parts. At $39.00 a box of 20 rounds it is pricey. Not bad for a life insurance policy but too pricey to practice much with. I loaded up a LOT of loads approximating the recoil and velocity using an XTP bullet and have been practicing.

Using the round piece of card board from a Digornos frozen pizza at 12-15 yards, striving to get 2 quick shots on it from my holster. I figure that round piece of cardboard is a fairly good approximation of a SMALL grizzly head. Even been practicing with my pack on. I figure best possible case scenario I will get 2-4 good shots off and then we will be in contact shot mode.

Everyone has to have a plan. I plan on having to deal with a grizzly as we contest possession rights on an elk carcass or my worse nightmare, running into a sow with cubs on the trail back after dark. I hope to be as situationally aware as possible and put myself in the best possible position to deal with that eventuality. Then, if it doesn't happen, I will be pleasantly surprised!!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: Field testing with a purpose...

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Here is a doe that I shot with the Ruger SR 1911 last fall at 60-70 yards. I was using Sigarms 180 grain V-Crown ammo. She ran about 30 yards towards me and collapsed.

10mm killb.jpg
10mm killb.jpg (185.68 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Apparently this little piece inside of a deer is pretty important.

10mm kill a.JPG
10mm kill a.JPG (130.61 KiB) Viewed 310 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Keener » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:31 am

Nice shot on the deer.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
Keener

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:00 pm

IMHO ,,,,,there is "dead right there",,,,and "dead before the brain knows it" ,,, seems to be the sum of the 10mm vs .44mag,,,,you have looked in to the best ammo,,I would side to all the years experience you have ,,and go on auto pilot use what you know best,,,,,get that elk. Jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby Yohon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:32 pm

I surely hope that you dont have to draw that piece out of your holster the whole time your out there BUT if there's anybody gonna come out of an encounter like that still standing, Im gonna bet alot of money on you to do so :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Return to Board index

Return to Barrels and Bullets