Skip to content

Rifles and white tail deer *update*

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

Rifles and white tail deer *update*

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Well my brothers in New York State we are in our third year where rifles are allowed,,,,where we hunt the woods are very thick 50 yard shot max ,,,,I hear more stories of lost deer than ever ,,,and I'm talkin the hunters that are the real deal,,I have one some where in the woods the biggest longest blood trail I ever saw using a 30-30 170 gr core loct rem load ,,I put it In the boiler room maybe 5"" above the heart ,ran out of light going back in the am ,,, are rifles just going through these small deer like a hypodermic needle not doing a lot of damage or what I would sure like some input from you guys thanks Jeff w. "I recovered the deer the shot was good,pass through ,just a long long blood trail,,,long drag to the truck, happy to find the 7 pt,as usual one side of the rack is messed up(that's where Jeffhalfrack comes from) jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Re: Rifles and white tail deer *update*

Postby 4nolz » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Don't shoot them like a bow.Straight line up the front leg 2/3rds up is high shoulder shot DRT at 50 yards.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Hmmm,,,I think you got something there 4 ,,,,I am obsessed with bows too thanks going to ponder this one jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby lostaro » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:08 am

I agree with 4nolz....hard to not tuck that bullet behind the shoulder and low. That's where your supposed to hit them!!

I don't shoot many with rifles but have done the same thing several times....good shot but long trail.

To take advantage of the power a rifle has...need to get into the shoulders...break some bones. Way more energy into the deer and all those secondary fragments (bone/bullet) help tear stuff up.

Of course...meat loss is a given....it's a rifle after all ;)
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Return to Board index

Return to Barrels and Bullets