Skip to content

Turkey Quest

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

Turkey Quest

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:26 am

By special request......Not sure where to start??

So my daughter little Brooke has the huntin fever pretty bad. She really wanted to go last year, but was just too little. I tried everything to get a gun small enough for her, even cut down the stalk on a youth model 870 as much as possible. Still too big. It about killed her when her brother got a nice bird last year.

Best I could do was take her with me and let her help call in a bird for me.

Then a buddy told me about the Caldwell Deadshot he'd been using with his kid.... Dang, wished I'd heard of it sooner, but it was too late for last year.

It folds up into a little package, can be raised and lowered for height, and swivels left right, up and down silently. Awesome little tool.
Last edited by MOUNTER on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOUNTER

Re: Turkey Quest

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:55 am

So anyway, this year the kids scheduals are friggin nuts. Brookes on a competition dance team and softball, plus my boys activity's there's very little time. The one day earlier we could go it was rainy and windy so we slept in. Feeling frustrated, I decided to take her in late for school monday and maybe tuesday till we got a bird.

Sunday night she wanted to go scouting, pretty un necesary because I know were the birds are and we can usually hear them from the house. She still wanted to go so ok.....Here's the little goofball all pumped..

I thought we'd messed up when we got too close and spooked a couple birds, but right at sundown the gobblers were still where I thought they'd be.

Monday morning, haul everything in in the dark, gun, decoy, little 2foot tall blind to cover the gun rest and a squirmy little hunter... We get set up about 150yards from where the birds should be.. A little before daylight, the woods come to life. There's three big gobblers close by and what sounds like 6 or 8 jakes on down the creek bottom.

Couple selfies before the birds fly down....Kids?

MOUNTER

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:26 am

Being silly...

OK, birds start flying down everywhere, we can see some, but I'd purposely set us up with a big cedar between us and where the big gobblers were. Less chance for them to see us or for her to get a case of the jitters.. The gobblers hang in this one corner strutting and gobbling like usual, till they get bored, then normally you can call them in. But I see this other group of birds working their way along the tree line, I think thy're hens till they see the decoy and their heads light up... Dang it, bunch of jakes. Oh well, I work the decoy a couple times and here they come at a steady pace. When they get close, the four jakes are all balled up till one of them stops to strut.... BOOM! Nice shot, the bird barely even flops.. The others run off to about mid-field... We share a big hug, and she sheds a couple tears.. Adreneline mostly I think... Then we have to wait awhile for the all the other birds to leave, so she calls her momma.. Finally, I can't wait any longer, there's still some hens in the field but oh well...Here she is, and I'm one happy daddy!
This decoy is almost cheating......
MOUNTER

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:30 am

No worries, the gun is unloaded, she wanted to pose it that way?

One last one, The 10 year old turkey slaying goofball! (Not sure where she gets it?) :? :) She's all ready to go get a big one now! LUV IT!

MOUNTER

Postby owlbait » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:57 am

Awesome story and what a little cutie your daughter is! Those are memories you will both keep and share forever! Better make sure the boys at school know she has a gun AND her daddy does too! :D
owlbait

Postby Yohon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:36 pm

TOO COOL buddy!!!!!! Thanks for posting them pixs....awesome 8-) 8-) 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Mann » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:03 pm

NOW THATS more like it!!! :D :D
Awesome story!
Love the "goofball" pics!
Tell Brooke a BIG congrats! Well done by the both of ya! :D :D
Mann

Postby 4nolz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:35 pm

Excellent
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:44 pm

Outstanding! Thanks for posting.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby bearauto11 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:49 pm

That is the greatest!
bearauto11

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Barrels and Bullets