Skip to content

Ive been stitching...

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

Re: Ive been stitching...

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:36 pm

I really like leather work just never seems to be enough time.

Same here.... and since I have retired I have dang near turned it into a full time job. Didn't want a job.

I am using a holster press to wet form them. Basically two pieces of 3/4" plywood with a spacer and a piano hinge across one end. The insides of the plywood are covered with 1" thick closed cell foam. Put the gun in the holster, put the holster in the press and close it and C clamp it shut for 3-4 hours. Most holster shops use a hydraulic press to form the holsters..... don't have no hydraulic press.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Mann » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:30 pm

That makes perfect sense!
I will definitly try that!
Great looking work!

BTW maybe its just a stage in life but retired people really piss me off!! :o :P :x :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol:
Really looking forward to it!!!
Mann

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:54 am

Nice! I just bought a new 1911 and I wanna sew up an iwb all leather holster, don't want a hybrid like my other ones scratching up the finish on my new pretty gun. So my question is, the piece of leather on the top that keeps the holster open, (does that have a name?) can I slip a piece of thin metal underneath that and stitch it in to help hold the holster open when my belt is trying to squish it shut with no gun in there? Or is that not necessary?

Gotta show her off :) ruger lightweight commander
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 pm

I call it an overlay. I have inserted a strip of material in between the layers of leather, but don't know how much good it does. I used plastic from a Tupperware type container instead of metal. I would worry about metal rusting/corroding and then leaching through the leather. An insert makes it impossible to properly wet form the holster too.

If the holster is properly designed, you don't have to worry too much about it squeezing shut. The outside piece of my holster is a little bit larger than the inside piece which gives the holster body a kind of rounded shape to better conform to your hip shape and makes it naturally stay open. Kind of like taking two pieces of paper, pinching the edges and then pushing them towards each other. An opening naturally occurs. The overlay does stiffen the top edge of the holster and help to keep it open for reholstering. It is all about the design. Lots of people make holsters. Not all of them work as they should.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:21 am

Stykshooter wrote:I call it an overlay. I have inserted a strip of material in between the layers of leather, but don't know how much good it does. I used plastic from a Tupperware type container instead of metal. I would worry about metal rusting/corroding and then leaching through the leather. An insert makes it impossible to properly wet form the holster too.

If the holster is properly designed, you don't have to worry too much about it squeezing shut. The outside piece of my holster is a little bit larger than the inside piece which gives the holster body a kind of rounded shape to better conform to your hip shape and makes it naturally stay open. Kind of like taking two pieces of paper, pinching the edges and then pushing them towards each other. An opening naturally occurs. The overlay does stiffen the top edge of the holster and help to keep it open for reholstering. It is all about the design. Lots of people make holsters. Not all of them work as they should.

I was thinking stainless for that purpose ;) and if I wet formed first then added the overlay is that possible? I didn't even think about the natural tendency for it to stay open like that, duh. Thanks!
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Barrels and Bullets