Skip to content

Old rifle, new rifle hunter

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

Old rifle, new rifle hunter

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:38 pm

So, I am pretty excited about this, I never knew my real Grandfather's, fathers side died when my dad was a teen and mother's side died when I was two. But I had a step granddad named Chuck, my mom's mom remarried when I was around 10. Chuck was a good man, played guitar, sang and loved turkey and deer hunting. Chuck passed when I was 12 and he left me his deer rifle. Growing up in a shotgun only area I never got to use it. I shot it a few times but the scope was bad and I never had the money to put a scope on a rifle I wasn't able to hunt with. For the last year or so I have had a terrible itch to hunt with it so I knew what I was going to ask the wife for on Christmas ;)

Well as you can see the wife came through and I got to work the other day mounting it, here's the rifle Image

I did a little research and it turns out she was made by FN for Ward's under the Westernfield name, barrel is stamped made in Belgium with FN marks here it is, ready to go to the range tomorrow and get sighted in

I have had this rifle for almost 38 years, and now I can't wait to sit a stand with it.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Re: Old rifle, new rifle hunter

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:35 pm

A classic Mauser... it should serve you well!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:46 am

Good job Tim......you taking it to Florida?

Oooops...I see in the other post that's whatcher doin ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:15 pm

Took it to the range today, I bore sighted it in my basement last night, first shot was low right, then low centered followed by two more in the 10, touching after a slight adjustment.

We went cold after those so I guy could hang his target, came back after 10 minutes at 40* and punched an "x" with the first shot, the next was my fault and was in the 10 ring half inch to the right, the last shot, low in the 9 ring was taken by my buddy Brent.

When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby 4nolz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:28 pm

Worked like a charm this afternoon!
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby superkodiak38 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:23 pm

ImageImage
superkodiak38

Postby superkodiak38 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Than you Mike ! I appreciate it more than you know.
superkodiak38

Postby lostaro » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Good show sir!

Seems rather effective ;)
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Mann » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Congrats! Great shot!
Mann

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Sweeet!
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Next