Skip to content

Breaking in another new guy

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

Breaking in another new guy

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:55 am

So my youngest, Matthew turned 10 this spring and like his older brother he got a shotgun for his birthday and went through hunter safety. Friday he made his first trip into the woods as the DH ( designated hitter) we didn't see any deer but still had a good time. Last night we went back in and at about 5:40 a lone deer comes in. Of course it's on the wrong side and he doesn't see it at first but eventually it feeds across and I walked him through the shot, take the safety off, steady the cross hairs on the shoulder, breathe out and slowly squeeze....boom ! and smoke ( muzzleloader season) I see the deer run off and we wait and listen and reload. I didn't hear any branches breaking or thrashing so we got out of the blind and got our lights going but despite our best efforts there was no hair, no blood. We followed the two exits the deer would have taken for more than 40 yards and still no blood. I didn't really expect to find any because in the big beech tree behind where the deer was standing was where the bullet had struck it, about 8 inches off the ground ;) but we did our due diligence and ran out the exits. I asked him,"where you steady on the shoulder, or was it bouncing around a bit ?" he said " it may have been bouncing around some" so we agreed a clean miss is better then a gut shot and we headed home. On the way I told him if his brother gave him any crap about it he missed his first time out too and it was broad daylight !

here's a short clip of him getting set up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J8qkhikYyo
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Re: Breaking in another new guy

Postby Yohon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:34 am

Good job Dad!!!! My Dad told me missin builds character.....I still hate missin!!!!!!! :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:24 pm

That's GREAT! Nothing like getting the little guys out in the woods. My son took his boy, my only grandson, out squirrel hunting yesterday morning--his first time hunting with dad. J.W. shot one and had little William find it-he just turned five. He was "apparently' thrilled to find his dad's gray squirrel. :)

William squirrel.jpg
William squirrel.jpg (197.16 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby bearauto11 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:44 pm

Awesome!! Both of those. We are having a hard time finding one to miss. We keep trying, though. Good times for sure.

[=0]image.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
bearauto11

Return to Board index

Return to Barrels and Bullets