Skip to content

I blame you guys for this!

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

I blame you guys for this!

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Ive been doing all the reading and pricing I can for the last week about building myself an AR. I was gonna go with the nfa poly lower just to be a cheapo, but then I saw this one, and someone has one within an hour that I can go pick up. I might just have to have the jolly roger on my gun!

So for a stripped lower that means I need a lpk, butt stock, buffer tube/spring and? Or is that everything? Suggestions on the cheapest furniture? Id like fde stuff so it matches my handgun but I can always do black and paint it.

Btw im going with 6.8 :)
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: I blame you guys for this!

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:34 pm

and what makes a bolt carrier an "m16 carrier"? its a $5 extra charge to make such a thing, dunno what the difference is.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:26 pm

A M16 bolt carrier is machined differently and heavier than an AR 15 bolt carrier. It has a few different cuts. It will work in an AR and some guys actually prefer them in a match gun. But....

If you are a civilian is it illegal to possess the parts capable of making a semi auto weapon a fully automatic weapon. Probably a moot point but something to take into consideration. If for some reason an over zealous BATF agent happened to go nosing around in the bowels of your AR, it might get uncomfortable for a little bit.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:33 pm

BTW... if you are going to assemble the lower yourself, here is one of the best tutorials I know of....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... -receiver/
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:55 am

Cool, I hadn't found that one yet, thanks! I'm sure ill have a dozen more questions once I get all this stuff in front of me :oops:

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:32 am

I bought a stripped lower last year, before it became illegal ! I got a lower kit from CMMG and a Tapco adjustable butt stock for mine, the Tapco came with a package with the buffer tube and spring. It took me about 40 minutes to put it together. That video is a big help !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:25 am

Picked up my lower last night 8-)

My question is about hand guards, there's free float and drop in and standard m16 style, right? The upper I bought has the standard version. So does that attach the same way as a drop in? How exactly does it attach for that matter? And a ff guard attaches at the barrel nut right? Using the existing nut or does it get a special one? In which case id need to get a wrench too, right?

Oops never mind, google schooled me! :roll:

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Got everything but the bcg which still hasn't shipped since 12/1 :evil: here goes nothing!

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Looks like you have most everything a growing boy needs for an afternoon of fun! 'Cept boolets....lots & lots of boolets!

Yeah, a Bolt carrier group is kind of a necessity to make them things go bang.

Looks like you picked up Magpul M.B.U.I.S. sights. You may or may not be able to use them with the A post sight on the front of your upper. Sometimes you don't have enough elevation adjustment to get it sighted in. I see you bought the set. Are you thinking of going to just a front gas block with rail?

For back up iron sights I have settled on Troy Industries myself. I don't care for the plastic and polymer sights, but then I run a gun a little harder than most guys. The Troy D.O.A. sights are all machined and I find that I pick up that dioptic aperture faster than any other sight and your eye naturally aligns the front sight quicker and more refined. A little towards the pricey end but you do get what you pay for there.

https://troyind.com/products/dioptic-folding-sight-blk
Stykshooter

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Ive got 100 rounds to start with. This thing isnt cheap to feed, but I wont be shooting it near as much as most guys.

Theyre actually some off brand cheapo junk. Just bought them as a place holder until muzzleloader season is over and I can pull my scope off that and throw it on here. After I do that I plan on chopping the front sight and getting a different handguard, and putting some (different) sights on a 45 degree mount for back ups.

Those troy sights look great! When the time comes ill look into them some more.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Barrels and Bullets