Skip to content

Green mountain barrel

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

Green mountain barrel

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 pm

Some time ago I got a new gm lRH ( long range hunter) 1:28 twist drop in barrel for my t/c hawken,,and I never did anything with it didn't care for the cvs inline so ,,,,,,,today I got the tc all set up ,,,I started with 80 gr of 777 ff powder ,,,,,but I used t/c cheap shots they are 240 gr lead hollow pt sabot,,,,yes in a side lock too!! Once I got it on paper,,,wow what I nice shooting rifle!! This has been my go to deer gun since 1979! Can't tell how many lbs of black powder I shot through that gun and I killed deer with it for many years till the original barrel just wore out ,,,,dang I'm so glad to have this hawken shooting proud again,,,,better than ever,,,it was cold today in the twentys I was shooting 3" groups at 75 yards,,,and it's only going to get better ,,,,the romance is back on so the wind up is ,,,,,,,777 and t/c cheap shots are great!! Thanks jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Re: Green mountain barrel

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:55 am

I saw those cheap shots at the store, I wonder what kind of expansion you would get with them on deer ? Anyhow, I have a cheap in line, me and my boys have all killed deer with it. A friend has a Hawken style rifle and I was thinking about investing in one sometime soon, of course he had only "pops" on two different does in the early season with it, those 209 primers burn hot ! lol... but it is a beautiful rifle and surely not the rifles fault !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:03 pm

I used to love shooting my old T/C Hawken and Renegades back in the early '80's. Killed several deer with them too. Then they opened our muzzle loader season up to in-lines. Wasn't so bad at first as we still had to use iron sights and lead bullets. Then they allowed scopes and saboted rounds. Completely took the fun out of it and I hung up muzzle loader hunting for 15 years or so.

A couple of years back I got the urge to try a flintlock and round balls. I played with that gun all summer, shooting different loads, different patches, lubes and diameter of round balls. Ended up with a combination that would shoot as well as I could with iron sights. I have now killed a couple of deer with this .54 caliber beauty, shooting FFg black powder... one at 109 yards.

IMG_4602.JPG
IMG_4602.JPG (404.89 KiB) Viewed 122 times

This rifle is an absolute blast to shoot.... cleaning sucks! I was shooting it a couple weeks back. Here is five shots at 80 yards,

round ball 1.jpg
round ball 1.jpg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 122 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:10 pm

That's some good shooting and a nice rifle !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Try 777 two F they make a 4F I can't speak for the flash powder,,,,,but the777 lose is better than black hotter no stink cleaning ,,,,you can clean the flash pan out side if you stick to black?,,,,what I do now is swab w/isopropyl between shots,and brush every 5 I use a can of air to blow my nipple out,,,,this gm barrel comes apart so easy I'm able to use gorilla grease on all the threads,,,just love walking the woods with a smoke pole,,,,,,btw love that flinter!! Jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Return to Board index

Return to Barrels and Bullets