Skip to content

Looking at air rifles

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

Re: Looking at air rifles

Postby Nomadic Pirate » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Feral Donkey wrote:A few,weeks back I was up at Ken's and he's got this precharged pneumatic rifle made by Benjamin in .25 cal. He put a Millett mil dot scope and a bipod on it. We were nailing pigeons on the roof of his barn st 100 yards with this thing. The hammer spring makes a little noise like a crossbow makes but at about a third the volume. So I'm starting to look at them in .357. People are killing deer and hogs with these. I really can't afford one right now, but I might have to budget for one later this summer. Here's one I'm looking at. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Evanix_Rex_Air_Rifle/4049/7724

I have the .357 REX pistol and shoots the Predators real good, but There's much better rifles out there than the REX

Here is my Hunting page from an airgun forum, tons of reading there about hunting with airguns, tons of pictures and a bunch of videos.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... oard=209.0
Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons

" JAY MASSEY "
Nomadic Pirate

Postby Nomadic Pirate » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Stykshooter wrote:Part of my new job at the airport is killing critters. There is over 1,000 acres fenced in around the runways and by federal code, anything that gets inside has to be destroyed. We kill a lot of foxes, coyotes, deer, buzzards, groundhogs, etc. I ended up sitting in my vehicle at the end of a runway Thursday afternoon shooting killdeers out of the gravel for an hour with an air rifle.

We have an assortment of weapons to use for various vermin and one of them is a Ruger .22 caliber pellet rifle. I didn't even know that Ruger made pellet rifles!!! I am sure it is manufactured by someone else and then relabeled by Ruger. This thing shoots at 1,000 f.p.s. and is deadly out to about 75 yards. The model we have is called the Targis and it has a great trigger as well.

I have had very little to do with pellet rifles over the years but this thing is fun and very accurate!

Look, I don't want to sound like a total asshole but I probably will anyway :D :D :D

Those Ruger airguns ( China made guns branded Ruger ) are complete junk, 1000 fps is a marketing ploy for the Walmart mass that has no knowledge of airguns,
maybe, and I say maybe they can reach that velocity with ultra light non lead 7gr pellets, if you shoot a standard 14.3gr .22 pellet the velocity is more in the 750 fps range,
accuracy with those guns isn't even comparable with PCPs that can go sub or around MOA at 50 and 100 yards.

I have much better springers than those Rugers, I've shot much, much better springers than those Rugers and occasionally I've hunted with springers ( Took a nice hog with a .22 Crosman NP2 nitro piston ) but that is not something I would do on a consistent basis,....for serious hunting PCP is the undeniable KING.
Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons

" JAY MASSEY "
Nomadic Pirate

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:17 am

I don't doubt that there are a lot better air rifles out there, as I said, I'm not an air rifle guy. But I still say that the one I have is very accurate and a lot of fun to boot.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby 4nolz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 am

How "loud" is a 50 cal airgun? As loud as a 22?
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Nomadic Pirate » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:09 am

4nolz wrote:How "loud" is a 50 cal airgun? As loud as a 22?

if you shoot 1250 fps round of your .22 it will be a bit louder than a .50 airgun, but you can legally buy suppressors for airguns and since they shoot below the sound barrier those are very effective.

Here's a .50 cal I had in for field testing and review, this gun can shoot both bullets and arrows

" JAY MASSEY "
Nomadic Pirate

Postby Nomadic Pirate » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 am

Stykshooter wrote:I don't doubt that there are a lot better air rifles out there, as I said, I'm not an air rifle guy. But I still say that the one I have is very accurate and a lot of fun to boot.

But that is exactly my point, those aren't accurate, fun to shoot ? you bet :D :D

......but when you start to get into airgunning accuracy becomes a big thing and honestly, those Ruger and a multitude of China made springers are actually pretty inaccurate and really badly made.

" JAY MASSEY "
Nomadic Pirate

Postby jeffhalfrack » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Dead is still Dead ? ,,,,right? :shock: ,,,,,I live 1/2 hrs away from the crossman factory,,,,,love their stuff Jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby Nomadic Pirate » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:26 am

jeffhalfrack wrote:Dead is still Dead ? ,,,,right? :shock: ,,,,,I live 1/2 hrs away from the crossman factory,,,,,love their stuff Jeffw

Well, dead is dead if you can hit it :D :D :D :D

Honestly Crosman stuff isn't all that good overall, I had 5 Marauders a Discovery, Crosman sent me a Bulldog .357 for field testing an reviewing, I had a bunch of their Nitro pistons and still have a Titan .177, but in reality Crosman's stuff isn't all that good

Here's a video killing a nice boar with a Crosman NP2, it can be done but isn't something I would suggest

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... c=105940.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUcyrfI ... e=youtu.be

" JAY MASSEY "
Nomadic Pirate

Postby Bowlim » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 pm

I've been into the mostly german and english airguns since the 70s. I really like break barrels because they are like a good bow, a miracle of engineering. PCP wasn't really a thing when I was buying my last rifles, they were out there, but not dominant as now. But the ramp up to PCP is very expensive. So now we have a revolution occurring in PCP with the advent of decent compressors (some say), right down to 300 dollar range. If they ever crack the joint PCP/Scuba charging stations at a decent price, and that price could be reasonably high for both, then it will be a whole new day. Independence for guns, paintball, scuba, and work safety.
Bowlim

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Barrels and Bullets