Skip to content

.357 MAX

Every Pirate has a few few firearms stashed here and there. This is a place to talk about everything from front-stuffers to machine guns and everything in between.

.357 MAX

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm

What do you guys think of this ? I have an H&R handi rifle I have a good amount of star line brass some H-110 powder wanting to go deer hunting with this looks near too 35 rem im wondering what you guys have to say JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Re: .357 MAX

Postby lostaro » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Never shot a .357 Max....but I have killed a few deer with .357mag handguns. Can only imagine a MAX would be more-gooder ;)

Some really good bullets out there that might shine in a 357max. If you can reload some Barnes VorTx you might have a deer stomper :o
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Stykshooter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 pm

My daughter in law hunts with a handi rifle in .357 magnum. I hand load her rounds using the Hornady Flex tip bullets and a stout charge of WW 296. She is a good shot and that little rifle is incredibly accurate... a very bad combination for deer which happen to cross her path. She has dropped several deer with it and I don't think one has gone more than about 20 yards.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 pm

DAANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!this 357 maximum is a thumper!!!!!!!!!! I finally got this project done( I am not a gunsmith) I had a hell of a time trying to find a starting point,,,,,,,,,, so I ended up with H-110 powder hornady 180g xtp 20.1 gr dam this thing thumps a steel target!!! What I tried to do was get the scope on paper(did use a bore sighter) then ,,,,,,,,,I shot some 357 mags through it factory 158 gr,,,,,,,,, to get those in the bull,,,then I would try some max??? The rifle wouldn't hit paper??? I was only bringing a doz Max's ,,,,,cause I was still working the load out ,,,,,,,,,,,then I noticed a 1" hole in the plywood target holder?? Above the target ,hmmmm,,,,so tape two targets one above the other,,,,I see the max is exactly six mill dots above so I drop the windage ,I'm just 1 1/2" above at 50 yards I couldn't go to 100 they were having a wedding at the gun club so I'll try later,,, my 11 yr old son was blasting soda cans and water bottles with this rifle,,,,,I can't believe how this rifle thumps the steel gong any way sorry for the rant just a good day at the range ! Jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Return to Board index

Return to Barrels and Bullets