Skip to content

Sore fingers?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Sore fingers?

Postby Finger_Flinger » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Since I began shooting trad bows, my right hand ring finger has taken quite a beating. It doesn't matter how long or how tough the callus...until today.

I bought an Alaskan Archery Super glove with cordovan finger tips and it is fantastic! I have a cordovan faced tab, but, it still left my fingers very sore.

I fully intend on keeping with the glove, however, is it possible I am releasing incorrectly and it's only noticeable when shooting with a tab? I fingershoot compounds with a tab and notice zero problems.

Should I look into it or just stick with the glove for the stickbows and forget it? I don't notice any accuracy differences, or @least not @ 10 yards in my lair, I mean basement, haha..

Just curious on foks' opinions..
Yeah, I still fingershoot compounds..
Finger_Flinger

Re: Sore fingers?

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:50 pm

I have been shooting with one of those for almost 3 years and I love it !

Could be too high an elbow or torquing the string, are you using a deep hook ?
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Finger_Flinger » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm shooting @ the first joint. When shooting my compound I shoot with half of my pointer finger on the string. I have been making a conscientious effort to keep the elbow down.
Yeah, I still fingershoot compounds..
Finger_Flinger

Postby Bender » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:28 pm

Despite the conscious effort it does sound like high elbow. I have it. It leads to more pressure and dragging that finger. With the tab it seems that what happens is that the tip of that finger "peeks" out from behind the tab as the string passes by. At least that is what seems to be happening with me. Anyway it can "fixed" if you go with a tab that is longer. But then again, at least for me, having too much material hanging out there causes intermittent (or at least more so than usual) bad release and crappy flight and unexplained misses. The glove is working for you, so keep using it. Now all the "experts" do say that a tab does give a better release, and I do agree, ( I have my own theories about that) so, as you get more time under your belt you can always revisit using a tab later, but don't sweat it.
A word to the wise though, when using a glove as the months go by keep an eye on the finger stalls. They will develop grooves where the string sits when you're at draw. If your shooting ever really takes a mysterious dump, and stays that way no matter what you do, those grooves may become just too deep, and they are actually hanging the string at release. It will be like no matter what you do every release is like a pluck. If it happens to you, get a new glove right away. If you wind up sticking with the glove, it may be a good idea to get an extra.
Bender

Postby Biblethumpncop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:04 pm

How long is your draw, and how long of a bow are you shooting? Switching to a recurve limb with a static tip eliminated the sore fingers for me.
Biblethumpncop

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum