Skip to content

'Widder Paradox Channel

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: 'Widder Paradox Channel

Postby topcamp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:13 am

as near as i can tell cutty......though a slow motion look see would be nice.........upon the loose, the arrow on the teflon rest seems to be in free flight........the "keeper channel" was the intended result when i made it.........the outside edge does taper off.....

powder wise and lipstick wear on the shaft shows most of the contact is made during the draw......i have replaced the sideplate strip of teflon once as there was wear on it......but above the keeper channel......seeming to be the startup contact on the loose.

i haven't punched paper with it..........but yohon has watched it punch 'cones and it would take a much better man than me to get any more improvement out of a rest of any kind.........

we're both off today to see if we can "punch" a sika buck or two with the chastains........btw.......this has been a perfect hunting rest.....the arrow keeper channel will even hold the shaft on draw doing a slight reverse cant if one has to............but really .....it's the slickness of the tefflon that makes this work so well..............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby BowDonkey » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:23 am

TC, where did you get the teflon, what kind is it?
BowDonkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:36 am

Cutty wrote:Hmmm...you're right Feral! :D

I wonder if Ken Beck has been lurking... :roll:

I actually stole the idea from Bob (shafted) Gordon. Exept he was building up his shelves with bondo to meet the plunger hole, I moved the plunger hole down to a more natural shelf position.

If your arrow is tuned right and you get off your string clean, you don't need any of that stuff.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:10 am

That teflon rest is pretty cool! The simpler the better. I mean, if you have a mushy sideplate, how mushy is it going to be when it's 5 degrees out and you're sitting in your stand for 3 hours?
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Cutty » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:35 pm

That teflon must have an bondable side, huh...I remember seeing some of that stuff in the McMasters catalogue I think. Is it enough of an improvement over the old "Dog Bone" rest to make it worth it TC? Great idea, by the way.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby JimmyFingers » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:01 pm

My 23" OLY. riser wears a similar type rest, I made it for shooting in the TRAD class, I screwed a flat head bolt through the plunger hole, and ground it to shape, then I glued a paice of thick hard leather to the bolt head, and shaped it with a small file, and soaked it with super glue to make it hard, slick, and waterproof...I mad a similar type leather button , and glued it to the flat arrow shelf..and covered it with velcro...I shoot cock feather in, at an angle, and get great arrow flight, and almost no fletching contact..That type of set-up is great for shooting off the shelf...I made it last spring, to shoot in some of the O.S.T.A. shoots..I'm considering scrapping that system, and making the same type of thing, but more permanant, using Plumbers Epoxy, or J.B.Weld...Jim
"There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality, and then there are those who turn one into the other"...Douglas Everett
JimmyFingers

Postby topcamp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:15 pm

after running the idea past hank awhile back........he sent me a couple of scrap teflon strips.........i just carved the rest out with a dremmel and a exacto [sp?] knife........i glued a thin leather rest/side plate down with contact cement.......then used crazy glue gel to hold the teflon rest and the side plate strip. it holds very well............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Hank » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:40 pm

then used grazy glue

So when you are young, you get to use crazy glue and when you are older you use grazy glue? Like you are ready to be put out to pasture and graze a little?
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby JimmyFingers » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:44 pm

We have Teflon plastic at work, in round stock ,about 1" diam..I think that I will mess around with some of it...I might even turn some down in a lathe, and thread it, and that way I can screw it into the plunger hole, and adjust centershot...when I get it where I want it, justcut it off flush with the riser, and glue it..thanks for the idea, TopCamp!..Jim
"There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality, and then there are those who turn one into the other"...Douglas Everett
JimmyFingers

Postby njstykbow » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:22 pm

TC,

Nice looking combination. Ever look at one of Tim Mullins' "ridged riser shelfs"? Similar idea, but he actually files the ridge into the shelf. My Dad used to make similar rests out of teflon and I've still got a couple chunks of it around in one of my tackle or tool boxes.

The only negative I could think of with that type of rest is that the same little bit of side resistance to falling off the shelf might also negatively effect the natural tendency of an arrow's paradox around the shelf. Not sure what the physics of that would be. I know Rob K. got some new slow-motion video equipment for his shooting center. Might make a run up there and shoot a few different arrow/rest combinations and see what an arrow is actually doing from one of these bows.

I guess the bottom line is...if it works, don't screw with it!

Joe
njstykbow

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum