Skip to content

'Widder Paradox Channel

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

'Widder Paradox Channel

Postby Cutty » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:17 am

Checking out that new 'Widder one piece, I noticed that they've really relieved the outside edge of the extended radius shelf. They call it a "paradox channel" and say it makes it easier to achieve good off the shelf flight.

And you know what, I really think it does. :D

The bow I own right now that's the easiest to get good arrow flight off the shelf is my Palmer, and the shelf is relieved on it as well.

Just to test how much of a difference it made, I took a LB that actually has a bit of a raised, or cupped shelf edge, and built it up with some leather, so I could slope, or relieve the edge. Guess what, even though the arrows were already tuned, the arrow flight seems more forgiving of a sloppy release, and just felt cleaner leaving the riser.

So, swords up for that feature.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Re: 'Widder Paradox Channel

Postby Registered Lurker » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:21 am

Noticed that on the BW too. Makes for a very narrow shelf, seems like a good idea........but, a Black Swan has a very wide shelf and is a good shooter. If I thought it would help at all I would not be above takeing a rasp to a $800 bow, but would have to be damn sure first. Any thoughts on the subject of narrow shelf vs wide shelf?
Registered Lurker

Postby Belicoso » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:07 am

I think about two things .
One thing is ,it makes only sense if your hand is not into the way,that means if you remove material only to have your hand coming closer to the arrow is senseless.In other word the design of the handle must be dimensioned for it.My PSA III was really easy to get perfect arrow flight from .
Another thing what comes to my mind is when you watch the slowmotion movies how the arrow paradoxes around the handle after it is gone from the string it is not important at all. :?:
Belicoso

Postby Hank » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:01 pm

I have to go with Belicoso on the paradox, how much does it really matter thing.

Years ago I shot with Ken Beck's nephew at one of the legs of the triple crown... nice guy and a good shot and surprisingly, he shot a Widow...lol.

Back then the prefered shelf setup on a widder was leaving a gap between the shelf and side plate pad for the feather to go through as the arrow left the bow. I always thought that was strange, because the arrow is supposed to bend out and around the bow with the paradox.

With stiffer arrows and cut past center, might be different?
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Registered Lurker » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:26 pm

........but isn't the whole idea of an elevated rest to get the arrow up away from the shelf to get better flight? If shelf size/shape is a non issue why an elevated rest?
Registered Lurker

Postby Cutty » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:34 pm

Good replies guys. I think the way the widder shelf is cut so deeply, does make that paradox channel more imperative.

I mean, Bob Gordon has made Wood Warf risers with a fletch clearance channel next to the riser, more similar to an elevated rest effect, but the thing about sloping the outside of the shelf is if your arrows are stiffer, or you do have any nock height, release issues, that paradox channel does get the arrow off the shelf faster.

See, if you have perfectly tuned arrows, and a perfect release, you're always going to get good arrow flight.

But bows aren't always shot in optimum conditions.

Another thing here, I know I've heard most of the shooters I really think know their stuff say they're rather have a little weaker arrow, than one that's too stiff, and Bw's are notorious for taking arrows spined heavier than similar performing bows at the same draw-- that's because of that deep shelf.
Cutty

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:59 pm

Now Pete, there are 2 other bows you own that already have that feature. ;)
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby topcamp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:01 pm

well......i've been shooting the teflon rest all through hunting season.........it's quiet......it's one slick and fast.........it's tough.......it's waterproof........and perfect arrow flight ...........and it's the only one in the country.......it's a real working paradox channel rest.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Cutty » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Hmmm...you're right Feral! :D

I wonder if Ken Beck has been lurking... :roll:
Cutty

Postby Cutty » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Okay, now Topo, try shaving the outside of that rest down so it tapers off.

Might not be what you're looking for when you're hunting, because you don't get any "arrow keeper" effect, but for punching paper, I'd bet you notice a slight improvement...then again, maybe you wouldn't...but as Bob Gordon says, "This stuff sure is fun to mess with."
Cutty

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum