Skip to content

Psych out tricks for Tourney Shooters

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Psych out tricks for Tourney Shooters

Postby topcamp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 am

hell.....all i have to do is think about attending the shoot.........that's all it takes to psych me over the edge..............that was last yr......this year..........i plan on issuing a world of hurt to a whole bunch of pirates..............an ol man back to his shooting roots.........lol........but i do love flinging an arrow at a 3d critter from a distance that most guys can't make the front end out of the back end........once in awhile i get lucky and just say i will count that one..........everyone in the group comes unglued at that point.......except nightpilot and yohon..........have to be careful with those guys on long shots.........they will take you to school on the next county round.............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Yohon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:47 am

Keith...it damn near worked....that coulda been real ugly between laughing, letting up and trying not to let go all at the same time....I am still smiling about that one!!!!!

I am gonna try something different this year. I am gonna let the score take care of itself and write down next to each block a check for what I feel is a good shot and dont check for ones that are a less thans. I want to shoto a perfectly (in my mind anyway) executed shot for every target...after last weekend I have my work cut out for meLOL
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby bentbow58 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:22 pm

Good idea john. i actually felt pretty good about most of my shots to bad the score didnt show it.i did find something on the bale monday that im trying to correct.27th at seaford?
keith
Hell must be empty cuz all the devils is here!
brothers of the bale
bentbow58

Postby Yohon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:07 pm

27th at Seaford?.....cant do it, wifes gotta work :roll:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby JimmyFingers » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:46 pm

Something that works well, intentional or not, is talking about what You did wrong on the last shot, or something that Youve been doing wrong, and are trying to overcome....Like, after You shoot an arrow, say "Man, I just torqued the bow really bad"..or "I keep plucking the string!"..or heres the worst one for Me..."Man, I really dropped my bow arm on that shot"...This is bad for You, and the shooters with You, becuase it leaves that thought in Your head, and sure enough, You, or the next shooter, will be thinking about those comments, and that will cause the same thing to happen to them, or you, again...On purpose or not, form problems, or what You did wrong shouldnt be talked about, or even thought about while shooting for score...I have shot My worst scores when I was trying to fix something , or thinking about something, when I was shooting for scores..I think "Psyching" someone out while shooting (on purpose) is dirty, and cowardly...Some folks dont realise that They are doing it, though, I have done it Myself, but have since learned better...Thats another reason to shoot with archers that are better shots than You are, becuase if they shoot well, You tend to shoot better, and everything just "FLOWS"....A dog remembers it's last whippin' ,and the last score that You shot will be in Your head the next time..This game is so mental, that a positive thought can make the difference between shooting well, and blowing it out Your butt...I had a fella mess with Me at a shoot, trying to help, and it took Me ALOT of arrows in practice to get over the problem...What other folks would talk about, or say at a shoot didnt mess with me much, until I got real bad with T.P...Now, the only thing that I want to hear, is "Nice Shot!"...or "Them arrows look like they are flying great", something ike that...Keep it positive, or dont say shit...Jim
"There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality, and then there are those who turn one into the other"...Douglas Everett
JimmyFingers

Postby JimmyFingers » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:52 pm

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add...Most of the folks that I've shot with in the TRAD ranks are decent Folks...Try shooting in the Compound classes!!..L.O.L...Them boys are out for blood!...L.O.L...Jim
"There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality, and then there are those who turn one into the other"...Douglas Everett
JimmyFingers

Postby cst » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:21 pm

Damn you guys. I never really thought about all this that much till I read it here. Last night shooting I started paying attention to what the guys were saying and I started screwing up. I would here "good shot" and then shoot a one. Or I would here get your head down and I would of course peek on the next shot. THANKS A BUNCH I am gonna take ear plugs to the next shoot or eat some taco bell or something so people wont talk to me.
cst

Postby njstykbow » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Chris,

I'm pretty competent at "tuning everyone else out", be it with a bow or shooting sporting clays. Not everyone can do it no matter how hard they try or work at it. Some of the best shooters I know (with a bow or scattergun) don the headphones and listen to something other than what's going on around them. Seems to work for them.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby cst » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:26 am

Yeah, I usually am too. I had my head up my butt and was looking for excuses. Sat on my Ipod a while ago so I have no portable tunes, I am just gonna have to sing. :D
cst

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum