Skip to content

Psych out tricks for Tourney Shooters

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Psych out tricks for Tourney Shooters

Postby Cutty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Here's a little article from the Georgia Archery Association website I thought was interesting.

"Psyching out by Jerry Hundley

Many things happen to us at tournaments that are unavoidable but allowing your opponent to psych you out should not be one of them. The best way to avoid getting psyched out is to know the tactics that are used. Your opponent may not intentionally be trying to psych you out; it may just be the way they play the game of archery. This article reveals some of the ways others use to win. Different coaches have different techniques for handling psyching out and not all techniques work for each individual. I wrote the article as an awareness builder. The archer should work with their coach on the technique that works best for the athlete and the coach.

PROVOCATION

Your opponent may give you the cold shoulder. You are making great shots and they do not notice or recognize how well you are shooting. You begin to feel frustrated that no one notices how well you are doing. They may also try to "rattle your cage". They will make comments such as: "Is that the best you can shoot?" You begin to put yourself in the position of having to prove yourself to others. The other type of provocation is teacher-teacher. Your opponent will start making suggestions of how to improve. You will begin to think about how you are executing the shot. You begin to question yourself and your technique. You start thinking·. The worst thing you can do at a tournament on the shooting line is think!!!

INTIMIDATION

Your opponent may try the roaring lion technique. They will to try to impress you with how great they are shooting to try to intimidate you. They will reveal their "secret weapons" such as new gadgets they have on their bow and the fact that they have a new coach that has taught them wonderful new techniques and have totally changed their lives. They do all of this prior to the first shot of the tournament. You have just began thinking again!!!!

INVOKING GUILT FEELINGS

Your opponent is this really nice person that has always been so wonderful to you at the tournaments. You will soon begin to have concerns about beating them today. You just do not want to hurt their feelings. Some opponents will also try the "poor soul" technique. They will start complaining that they have not shot in weeks and will start telling you all the terrible things that have happened to them. Soon you begin feeling sorry for them and for yourself. Some will use the "I donât care" technique. They will act as if the competition does not matter and they will pull you into their same feelings.

DISTRACTIONS

Your opponent wants to get you thinking during the tournament. They want you thinking about something other than putting that next shot in the 10 ring. They will use the "Donât look now but ·." technique. They will bring up problems such as the weather (it is so hot, we are going to dehydrate; did you notice that your string is beginning to look really bad, I saw a string break one time that looked just like that.) Some will start throwing temper tantrums and other antics to distract you and others. After you are distracted, they go back to their great shooting and leave you trying to put your head back together. Some will also try to gee-whiz you. They will tell you how great you are shooting and keep telling you until you start wondering "what am I doing different today". You have just started thinking again!!!!

Knowledge is the best defense against an offense of psyching out. There are many techniques athletes use to psych out their opponents. It is also very important that a great archer develop a good mental training program. Mental training is just as important as your physical practicing. There are many good books on the market for mental training and your coach can suggest the best techniques for you. Ensure that your mental training also includes relaxation training. Relaxation techniques are very important to help you recover from a bad shot or from someone else psyching you out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry Hundley is a NAA Level 4 National Coach. He organized the Hot Shots JOAD Club in Tucker, Georgia 5 years ago. Jerry has been coaching for about 6 years. Jerry is a member of the NAA Coaches Development Program and has just recently returned from teaching at the Lake Placid JOAD Camp. Jerry is accepting athletes for private coaching. Jerry can be contacted at 4archery@bellsouth.net .
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Re: Psych out tricks for Tourney Shooters

Postby Cutty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:55 pm

I remember someone, think it might have been Steve Morley, mentioning that he liked to sing hooks from bad pop songs, over and over, and that seems to work pretty well.

Think Hank prefers to get a lapdance right before a shoot, so in addition to being relaxed, the powerful odor of industrial strength stripper perfume nauseates the competition, and the flakes of glitter left on his clothes occasionally catch sunlight, distracting them.

Feral, of course, produces more methane that a feed lot. :D

GEREP, keeps up a non-stop litany of SHILLING...

After that 281, it's pretty clear, Roger doesn't need any tricks.
Cutty

Postby njstykbow » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Cutty,

The simplest one I personally ever fell for was when a guy casually walked up to me at the beginning of the NJ State Championship, mentioned how well I'd been shooting lately...then asked if I breathed at full draw. Seems like a very simple question...until you realize you're thinking about it while trying to pull 52#'s through the clicker for 40 seconds per shot! Rattled me for several weeks.

Also once fell for the "do you keep both eyes open?" zinger.

With my limited mental capacity, I've had a lot more used on me than I ever used on anyone else.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby Cutty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Joe, that's a great one...lol...

A simple little form question to worm it's way into your subconscious. :(
Cutty

Postby rwsbow » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:44 pm

Joe and Cutty,
Had someone pull the "do you inhale or exhale when you release" ploy on me..and even though I knew what it was, stupidly fell for it..messed up the first half of a 2 day tournament.
It's like TC said on another post..."dance with what ya brought to the ball"..it was your game and skill that got you there, make sure you play YOUR game.
NOT talking or commenting gets to a lot of other shooter..they are waiting for reassurance of a great end or round, when you don't say anything, they begin to question themselves.You came to shoot, not to bullshit!!

Roger
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Biblethumpncop » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:53 pm

I don't play headgames intentionally. I shot in a tournament a few years ago. I was an unknown in the competitive 3-D world in Az traditional archery. The third leg of the triple crown was the tournament (Az Bowhunter Happening). I was leading the first day by one point. The person that was expected to run away with the shoot was in second place. He had won the other two legs of the triple crown prior to this shoot. I was later told by some of the shooters that me being an unknown bothered that shooter somehow. To make it worse, we shot together the next day. I was geniunely nice to him. I tried to speak to him about archery, along with the others we were shooting with. He distanced himself and his score went downhill. If I remember correctly, I was nervous shooting around him because he was the PERSON to beat. I guess I chit-chat when nervous. I don't try an intimidate anyone that I'm not arresting, so it wasn't intentional. But on the first target, I shot first. I plugged a lousy 5. He shot the score of a 5. The next target I shot something like a 10, and he shot a 5 again. I think I hit a 12 and 10, and was feeling good. This was about the time he fell apart and missed. He went downhill from there. I averaged 9's that course and took the belt buckle. He went from 1 point down on the first day to 4th place by the end of the second day.

He seemed like a nice person, and I was just enjoying being with other traditional archers. I guess I was unknowingly playing a mind game. That sucks too, because I hate mind games. I enjoy other's company, especially if they shoot traditional archery. I guess it bothered him. I never saw him again. Unfortuantely though. I would like to shoot against his "A" game and be friends.

The following year, I was the "person to beat" at that tournament. I was only able to shoot in 2 of the 3 legs though. The Bowhunter happening came, and I won again, but I wasn't an unknown. I averaged 9's again. If I remember correctly, one person in particular tried to be intimidating the first day, being gruff and all. I still shot well. After we shot a round together, I must have earned some clought with him, because he became nice. Oh well. Its just for fun guys, relax! I guess that's why I shot noncompetitively for 20 years. Actually, I didn't think I would be good enough to compete. If it takes mind games to try and level the playing field, I would rather not compete. I enjoy shooting with friendly, competent people. When it becomes life or death, I'll leave. I deal with that enough for a living. I don't need it for recreation as well.
Biblethumpncop

Postby Cutty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:25 pm

When it becomes life or death, I'll leave. I deal with that enough for a living.

I suspect that actually give you a tremendous mental advantage...you're psych out proof. :D

Really well said.
Cutty

Postby KCummings » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:26 am

I like to give the appearance that I am a very mediocre shot. That gets everyone relaxed and lulls my competition into thinking that they will beat me with very little effort.

To date, I have been very successful at it.

Now if I could just figure out how to turn it up when the competition starts, I think it would work fairly well.

:(

KPC
"On their deathbed, no one ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
KCummings

Postby Belicoso » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:47 am

Code: Select all
Now if I could just figure out how to turn it up when the competition starts, I think it would work fairly well.

That´s funny.

It´s not only common in archery to psych out your rival.Still remember how he was looking into the eyes of his rivals before the first round´s bell.
Attachments
2294_307670235_108270_H161947_L.jpg
2294_307670235_108270_H161947_L.jpg (37.02 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
Belicoso

Postby bentbow58 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 am

saw this happen last week.mind you this was a very relaxed fun shoot no real pressure except what you put on yourself.the target was a standing bear ,side too .one guy had just shot wide right and just caught the bears chest .the next guy who is a good shot is very deliberate has great form and concetration,comes to full draw looking for his perfect site pic.the first guy looks at me and says i shot that bears nipple off(this was not done on purpose)the shooter starts laughing and has to let down.concentration blown..... i think he still got a 10 on the target though.
yohon dont you think im gonna try that on you in the future i need an edge!

keith
Hell must be empty cuz all the devils is here!
brothers of the bale
bentbow58

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum