Skip to content

coming back to aluminums

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: coming back to aluminums

Postby rwsbow » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:56 pm

Good choices Cutty..
I shoot aluminum exclusively (except for the occasional woodie) and I think I would choose the XX75 for the ability to restraighten. X7'S and XX78's are (to me) too "hard" of an alloy and seem to crack or shatter more easily, although there is no straighter shaft than the X7..seems like the standards that others try to match.But being I use my arrows for both target and bowhunting, I think I'd choose XX75..and not camo patterns, as I like to find my arrows after shooting them!!Life's a bitch when the vision is not as sharp as it used to be and regretfully all arrows do NOT hit where I always want them too!!!

Ramblings of an old man...Jolly Roger!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:28 pm

I 2nd that. XX75 is my choice. XX78s are to brittle and if they bend, no way are you going to get it straight again. Where as the XX75 are tough and you can abuse them SO much more.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hank » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:37 pm

So us guys that prefer XX75's basically come from abused back grounds?

Top of the line XX75 is the Platinum Plus shaft, kind of remind me of the old Dougherty Naturals.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby rwsbow » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Platinum's look great and love the alloy..I prefer regular nocks, rather than the uni-nock system.
Now if they made the Plat's in swaged nocks, that would be the one!!!!Yes Sir!!!!!
My abused background is my neighbor's fence,after the arrows go through the hay bales. Luckily he is a bowhunter too, and shoots whenever he feels like it at my bales in my yard. Says he's got plenty of wood to replace any dings with..What a neighbor!!!!He's a compounder, a good friend and neighbor.(Shoots an Alpine I sold him)

Ramblings of an old man...Jolly Roger!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Hank » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:58 pm

Why do you guys prefer the regular nocks to the uni nocks?

Don't you believe in the unified theory?
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby rwsbow » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:16 pm

The unified theory is the best way to hit your wallet. I've got several hundred regular nocks (Marco BJ)and don't want to go to the uni-nocks until they are used up. Plus if I'm target shooting and bust some nocks, they're easier to replace.
Still prefer "old school" nocks!!

rwsbow

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:37 pm

They fit looser and they're easier to replace. You smash the other kind and you have to break out the drywall screw and see if you can dig it out.

Also some of the old nocks have that big brail mark on the side that I've gotten so used to using, I don't even look at my arrow when nocking it.

On the other hand, if you're arrow is a little stiff and impacting the flipper hard, you can always index the arrow to the next feather when one gets ratty if you're using the unibushing. For spot shooting arrows I like unibushings for that reason. It does add 10-15 grains to the back end of the arrow though. For hunting and everything other than spots I like the old fashioned nock.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:39 pm

On that note, I go out of my way on Ebay to get the old fashioned kind of nock end on my aluminum arrows. They're cheap too! I just got a dozen new uncut 2114s for $27 shipped!
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:21 pm

What draw weight are you shooting those 2114s at?
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:04 pm

I'm going to try to get them to shoot out of my 50# all wood longbow that's way out of center. There's not even a shelf, there's a wrinkle in the top of the grip so I'm guessing I'm at least 3/8 out of center. The 2212s with the 140 grain point spine out about right so I'll leave these a little long and see what they do.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum