Skip to content

coming back to aluminums

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

coming back to aluminums

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:46 pm

About a year ago I realized a few things about carbon arrows and how some here and there are not the same as the rest of the batch. Perhaps when shooting a compound with a drop-away rest that's no big deal. But when one arrow consistantly has a different point of impact and arrow flight than the rest, even when that arrow appears identicle in every way, that has a way of getting me mad. I switched to aluminums and was quite happy.

Well, a month or more ago I decided to take carbon for another whirl. I got some CX 45-60 Terminator Selects because I wanted a 420-460 grain arrow that spined around .400". I tuned the bow in really nicely for them and they shoot great. The other night I was setting up some broad heads and had everything indexed the same and spinning perfectly true, but 2 out of the 6 in my quiver had a cork-screw flight, lots more than fletching contact would cause, so I pulled them aside. Then I just shot those 2 very carefully. They each had a very consistant and unique arrow flight and point of impact from shot to shot even though they were flying like crap. I pulled the broadheads off and put them on other arrows, made sure they spun true and shot them and they work great. I shot all 6 into a 4" group at 20 yards. Now what the hell am I going to do with these 2 arrows I paid good money for? :evil:

So I tried the arrows for my compound. They're Autumn Orange 2314s. They're impacting 4" left at 20 yards. I can play with the tuning and bring them in. They weigh 500 grains with a 125 grain point. They look like they fly just as fast at 20 yards as the Terminator Selects. 10gpp ain't bad. With the Aluminums I can be sure that when I buy XX75s, they're all the same unless one is cracked or bent. Let's face it, XX75s basicly rock. You know what you're getting yourself into right away.

I'm going to find someone with a spine tester and check these 2 Terminator Selects against the others.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Re: coming back to aluminums

Postby stagmitis » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:01 pm

Few years ago I bought a set of 45-60# CE terminators and went nuts trying to bareshaft..thats when i broke down and bought my first spine tester...There was a 20# difference in spine throughout the dozen!
stagmitis

Postby Hank » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:09 pm

Well it does say 45 to 60# on them, there is a 15# variance right there...lol
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:19 pm

Problem solved. $43.90 shipped to my door off ebay. a dozen brand new Easton 2314 XX75 Yukons uncut with insert, nocks, and unibushings. I don't like the unibushings. I like the glue on nocks better but for that price, I won't bitch. :D

What i like most is they're ALMOST orange. :P
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby rwsbow » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Cool...good choice!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby PAarcher » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:00 am

I have a thing for Autumn Orange too. Never tried 2314s. I have a ton of 2315s, both XX75 and XX78. Also a fair amount of 2016s. I think given some more time I may switch to the 2016s in the Firefly and be done with it. There are a lot of things I like about carbons but they can definitely be goofy to tune. I can't afford a steady diet of the really good ones.
PAarcher

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:36 am

i'm going the same route...... though the carbons are more durable, i only need them to do their job once (on a critter)...... starting next year, i am going back to the metal arrows........ i am tired of banging my head while tuning my bow and i use a spine tester to find the stiff spot in the carbons..... i still play hell with getting all my arrows perfect...... i figure i can by twice the # of aluminum arrows for the same price as a dozen good carbons to make up for the durablity issue :D. plus, there is many more options for spine in the aluminums........ i just hope that easton continues to make aluminums.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:59 am

Didn't Limbwalker say once over on LW that if you're not shooting carbon arrows, you're not shooting to your tru potential as an archer, or something like that? Well, I guess if you're spending $250/doz on shafts they better be pretty damned good!
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby rwsbow » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:39 am

I hate to disagree and bust Limbwalker's bubble, but I don't believe Howard Hill shot too many carbons, and if I'm not mistaken,his record is quite impeccable.Don't think they even had them around at his time...but not sure.

Granted, for FITA and Oly shooting, most people use carbon, but it is to get a better sight pic and mark at the long ranges that gives it an advantage..because of it's weight.How many of us are going to shoot at 76 and 98 yards on a regular basis?
For the average archery/bowhunter, hard to beat good Easton aluminums.
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Cutty » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:20 pm

If I had to pick one arrow, and only one arrow to shoot for the rest of my days, it would be aluminum. Either X7's, or XX78's. 2117 XX78's fly sooo well out of my #67 Robertson LB with FF string, it just depresses me...because it makes my woodies look so bad. :x
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum