Skip to content

The Grip!!

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: The Grip!!

Postby rwsbow » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:38 am

I know Hank is a proponent of the low-wrist grip and for many people that may be the natural grip for them, but after trying it seriously for a few days, I have found out it is not for me. A medium wrist grip seems to work better...
In all fairness, Hank shoots mainly longbows and I shoot exclusively recurves ( and compounds when I am building one for someone) and I understand there is a huge difference between these "animals"
After a lot of years finding the best grip for ME, I find out that a Quinn metal riser or a Hoyt #3 "rubber chicken grip" is the grip that reduces the most torque for ME when shooting. Both of these I guess would be considered medium wrist grips. I have a tendency to "heel" the bow when trying the low-wrist grip on my 'curves.

Has anyone else that shoot 'curves tried the low-wrist style with different results? Is it just to me that it feels "cramped"or is it just my "geezeritis" that prefers a medium grip?

Jolly Roger
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby cst » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:05 pm

I like a bow with a low grip. I end up shooting it with a medium low grip though. I can't help it. Now to visualise my description look at a Quinn grip and imagine almost all of the heel resting on that slope. You know that little spot where at the bottom of your palm the bit meat from the thumb runs into the lifeline and then the rest of the palm meat? That little dip never touches the bow. Ever.Dont matter if I have a high, medium or low wrist gripped bow, I always pull just that part of the palm up off the grip. (disclaimer: occasionally when shooting Hill bows I do the whole suitcase grip and marvel at the control and quietness, then I go back to bows that I can actually shoot) Now if you go up in a straight line from that little dip over the big thumb meat to just inside the line of the thumb you have the area that exerts pressure on a grip for me. I try to keep all but that 3/8ths inch wide chunk of hand off the bow. I then (to help accomplish this) curl up my middle, ring and little finger on my left hand and circle the grip with the forefinger and thumb. If I have a grip I like I end up with a little extra room in that little circle I think all this keeps my from torquing the bow the way I used to.
cst

Postby Yohon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:22 am

Good description Chris!!

I thought it interesting that in Rick Mckinnys book he had several drawings from world class accomplished archers of were they felt the handle and how they gripped....all differnt, some were close but all different. Then I think of what Len Cardinale told me....if there was a perfect grip dont you think by now we would know it and tell everyone you grip it "this" way. Rwsbow said it......find the best grip for YOU....certainly try em all but once you feel its best for you, practice it so that you do it the same way "time in and time out" ....consistency is what we should be lookin for and only you can tell yourself what that is ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Hank » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:44 am

I thought the BEST grip was now the best grip :)

I actually had my hand into one of those last summer, buddy of mine has one on his target recurve, I had the Sheep. I thought I would need physical therapy at least twice a week if I used the BEST grip.

On the other hand, he didn't think much of the Sheep grip either....lol
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby stabow » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:55 pm

On a recurve the best grip that I found was on my Black Widow with Asbell grip and the trad tech titan grip is awesome. On a long bow I like the straight grip on a Howard Hill bow.........stabow
stabow

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum