Skip to content

Tournament Shooters?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Tournament Shooters?

Postby rwsbow » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:56 pm

Just asking to find out how many on this site actually compete in archery tournaments..formal or informal (local club)..because with all the talk of "this is legal and that isn't" just wondering how many actually compete.
If you do, what "class " do you shoot in and what do you equipment do you shoot?
Me, I used to compete in FITA (although never nationally ranked) while in the military, but now it's just with a few compounder buddies or grandkids in the back yard..no local archery clubs anywhere nearby.
Just curious??!!............

Ramblings of an old man...Jolly Roger!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Re: Tournament Shooters?

Postby rhust » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:53 pm

I try to compete in as many 3d shoot a year as I can. I made it to about 10 this year, including the state champinoship. I have been shooting a fox recurve bow off the shelf with aluminum arrows. In all the local shoots there is only one class for recurve/longbow shooters, and it is called the traditional class. Pretty much any recurve or longbow shot off the shelf falls in that catagory. In the state shoot they break it down to longbows shot off the shelf with wood arrows, and recurves shot off the shelf with any arrow material.
rhust

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:02 pm

I shoot 3D tournaments and a broad head shoot here and there. I'm going to take in a few spot tornaments this winter because I'll be the only Traditional Barebow shooter and I'll come in 1st place. :lol: Maybe I'll get some people interested in the sport. Kinda hard to do that when they're shooting 50 Xs and I'm shooting a 230.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby rhust » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:14 pm

For me it is a family thing. Both my wife and son shoot with me at all the shoots. It is a good way for us to fill a weekend.
rhust

Postby Cutty » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:30 pm

My ultimate goal, as far as competition goes, is to shoot against Steve Morley and the rest of those guys in the IFAA World Field Championships in the longbow class. There's just something about that class, the locales, courses, and personalities of those guys (the little I've heard described) that appeals to me as the purest expression of Trad Target archery. Admittedly, that might not be the case at all-- but I've always loved reading about Steve's experiences-- enjoy Redbows posts as well.

That's the dream, anyway.

In the short term, I'm going to have a chance to shoot in some kind of indoor Trad class winter league this year-- first time since I started shooting I'll have a chance to do that, and I've really looking forward to it. And next year, I'm planning on attending a couple outdoor shoots. Libby for sure.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Cutty » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:32 pm

I'd also like to start a Trad Shoot on the guest ranch at some point and have even promised Hank it will be the first "clothing optional" shoot in the U.S. :P
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby PAarcher » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:22 pm

I shoot in as many 3d shoots as I can get to. Most of those are pretty informal. Those that are formal usually classify me in Mens Recurve Unlimited.
I also shoot in our winter leagues at the club. PA 600 round. Same as the 300 but the target is divided in 10 score rings instead of 5.
PAarcher

Postby cst » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 am

I have shot in 3-D tournaments, all of which were pretty informal. The class was simply traditional no separate stakes They said I could stand where I wanted to. I ususally stood at or behind the stake. All were fun shoots, but we usually kept score. I never did real well. I have done 300 rounds with a few guys from the club informal no classes, but I did get a bigger target than the guys shooting compounds!
cst

Postby Bill Grenoble » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:19 am

rwsbow wrote:Just asking to find out how many on this site actually compete in archery tournaments..formal or informal (local club)..because with all the talk of "this is legal and that isn't" just wondering how many actually compete.
If you do, what "class " do you shoot in and what do you equipment do you shoot?
Ramblings of an old man...Jolly Roger!!!

I shot AA barebow with a recurve 60s-70s in PA, about 100 state medals, 150 trophys, gave them all back to some clubs a few years ago. Then I shot barebow compound in PSAA field-3-D, ASA, IBO, etc for 6 or 8 years with my wife. Burned out, and we took up sticks about 3-4 years ago to shoot for fun. I might shoot 3-4 shoots per year for score, and maybe 10-15 for fun, mostly 3-D because the field shoots are sparse. We do have a 14 target field course at home to shoot. My wife and I shoot the longbow traditional class, off the shelf-one anchor-no string walking, and lately are shooting primitive longbow equipment, all wood bows-no glass or carbon & wood arrows. I don't shoot nearly as well as I used to, but have much more fun and enjoyment, with less pressure than the intense competition environment we were in for many years. What makes it nice is that my wife is a former compound AA barebow shooter, and she loves to shoot her longbows also, and is very good at it. She makes me go to all the shoots. :roll: :mrgreen: Bill
Bill Grenoble

Postby rwsbow » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:04 pm

Hey Mr. Bill....
Could you describe your bows a little more...are the homemade, bought, poundages,lengths?
Wooden arrows now but what did you shoot in earlier times..aluminum,wood,etc?
I know you still compete (socially) a lot and to meet and talk with friends, but there's a lot of knowledge you have that I'd like to learn about..Any chance you would share it if I ask the questions? (Pretty please??!!)
Kinda thinking about competing again..miss the comaraderie !!

Jolly Roger!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum