Skip to content

Sights - specifically SRF

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Sights - specifically SRF

Postby Dan in MI » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Talk to me. I run about 70% when hunting and with the shots I wait for it should be better than 98%

Thinking about an SRF to give me somehting increase focus and hopefully increase my hit %.

I like shooting purely instincitve and shoot 220-230 on a 300 round outdooors, barebow, 55# but sometimes out inthe field I just don't focus on a spot and I think I just need an outside reference to force me to.

Thoughts? ideas? Is the SRF "all that?"
Dan in MI

Re: Sights - specifically SRF

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:53 pm

I know a few guys on here have tried them. The reason I never tried one is because the thing is too big and I was affraid I was going to hit it with my arrow coming off the bow so your anchor points are limited too.

It seems to be the new trinket everyone liked for 5 minutes.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby rwsbow » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:23 pm

Can't hurt to try it..but..
why not just use a single pin ,set for ..say 20 yards..and let it cover your ranges (10-30) by using it as a reference point (pin on deer belly at 10 yards,halfway up at 20.top of his back at 30)
Try anything and MANYthings to increase your odds..

Ramblings of an old man...Jolly Roger!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Dan in MI » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 pm

That's the supposed magic of the SRF you don't need multiple pins or range estimation. I dinked with a home made loop tonight and it seemd to work and then it seemed to not work. Being the middle of deer season I think I'll stick with what I've been doing but just wondered if there was more info that wasn't totaly biased for the sight
Dan in MI

Postby cst » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:03 pm

Dan, I have one of those I think I chose the "B" apeture. I do far better without sights at all or with dedicated pins. Of course I aim by gap (secretly I think everybody does whether they know it or not) so pins to me are kinda the easy or lazy way to go about it. Sometimes I shoot better with a sight and sometimes without. Either way I found that the SRF seemed to take to much of my focus off the target. I was not able to get comfortable with it. I shot it for a month and gave it up. I think the main thing there was that it was a bit too nonspecific for me. I am used to using a point or pin or ring ( a small ring at that) Either way you might want to try one. I may not be enough of a self starter for one of those. I do really like the luminescent coating on the one I got. That is where a formal sight has it all over gapping - in low light situations.
cst

Postby Penny Banks » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:01 am

I am not nearly in Dan's class shooting but we both share a problem with concentration. When I shot the Das loner bow last winter it came with the SRF sight.

I have no other frame of reference since I have never shot sights on a bow of any kind before. I shot my best ever group, to date, with the Das and the SRF sight. Prior to that time I could get a two maybe three shot group. I think what I shot was a six shot group which shows the sight helps overide the concentration problem.
Penny Banks

Postby chuck172 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:00 pm

Just starting out in traditional. I've done well hunting and shooting with the compound, I pulled out my old Kodiak Magnum recently and wow, talk about FUN!
Problem is I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I taped a wooden matchstick on the bow for a sight and instantly started shooting groups. I've got to the point to where I can start to work on my form and release while still shooting decent. What's my next step? I don't want to drill any holes in my old bow, but would like a simple sight. I really enjoy shooting and I hope I'll get good enough to hunt .
Chuck
chuck172

Postby rwsbow » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:13 pm

Welcome Chuck172!!
You might want to take a look at a tape on sight available through E.W. Bateman's website..only about 5 bucks and no holes required to drill.Very basic sight but will work good.
I use sights on all my bows but most of them are metal handles..got a few Bears and Wings ,though, with taped on sights..(well 2 of them got drilled years ago)
To play around with, get some tape and the sewing pins with the little colored ball on the end..they work good to play with but aint worth beans to hunt with.
It's a blast aint it!!!
Once again welcome!!!Enjoy the sail!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:05 am

Hi Chuck! Welcome aboard! I shot with sights for a long time before shooting barebow. There's nothing wrong with sights other than they complicate your equipment a little. Next step you already have figured out. Get your form down and shoot it a bunch. If you get to a point where you want to upgrade your bow, a good bow to upgrade to is a Quinn Stallion. The grip is a lot more forgiving than that Bear, it's cut past center so your arrow spine isn't as critical, it's already got sight and stab holes in it, and it has performace that rivals most of the high end Carbon olympic rigs. Plus you can pick one up new for $250 or so. That's just a suggestion, but first run the hell out of that bear and keep a strong, steady bow arm. If you get proficient with that then pick up a more forgiving bow, you'll be hell on wheels.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby chuck172 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:24 pm

I'm looking at the Quinn bows. I'm left handed. Which Quinn would you recommend?
chuck172

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum