Skip to content

What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby oscar » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:19 am

I'd hate to see this thread end up in the toilet. There's been a lot of good information here on shooting a bow.
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
oscar

Postby Larry247 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:37 am

No two people shoot the same because who knows whats going through someone elses mind at the time of the release.

This is a good thread so lets keep it up. :D
Larry247

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:14 pm

Larry247 wrote:No two people shoot the same because who knows whats going through someone elses mind at the time of the release.

This is a good thread so lets keep it up. :D

I like that. Good way of putting it.

You know, the more I learn, the more I understand how little I know. People who rooster off like they know everything are usually stuck in a rut themselves and have the blinders on and either don't see that they are, or are lying to themselves that they're not. Either way, the free exchange of info is always a good thing.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Cutty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:35 pm

Either way, the free exchange of info is always a good thing
:D :D
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Cutty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 pm

As far as the hunting v. target thing--

Bale work and working towards understanding what it takes to be in complete control of my shot have only HELPED me shoot my longbows fluidly when I choose to.

I can't see how working on fundamentals in any sport can HURT when it comes time to perform under time and pressure constraints.

Now I can see how trying to shoot with "target form," or let's just say holding longer at anchor then you are used to, can play havoc with your shooting if you've been shooting for many years "touch and go."

I beleive that was one of the reasons Fred Bear could never adjust to shooting a compound-- or at least didn't care for shooting one.

I can also see why someone who is primarily interested in hunting and 3D and HAS been successful wouldn't want to completely break down their form and start over.

But no matter how hard I try, I cannot see Yohon with his panties in a wad on a 3D course... :lol:
Cutty

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:38 pm

I did the blank bale for years. What it did for me was help develope muscles for shooting. But you can stand 10 yards from a blank bale and shoot it with the same bad habits over and over and over for years and it'll look and feel like you're doing great. Then you go to shoot for real and you can't hit shit. That was me for about 2 and 1/2 years. It wasn't until I stepped back 60-100 yards and tried to hit a red potato on the end of a stick with a Judo that I realized things and developed good shooting habits. It wasn't until I got into a situation where I could see specific reaction to every action and develope a good shooting routine that I was able to learn to shoot half way decent. At a greater distance every single little thing you do gets amplified and you can get imediate feedback to everything you do. While shooting at 5-10 yards you can bust nocks and smash your arrows all day while creeping, plucking, not reaching you anchor, having a jello bow arm, etc etc and the whole time you'll think it's all going great and get all frustrated as hell when you shoot like complete shit.

That's my experience anyway.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Cutty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 pm

You bring up a point that I was going to add above. Hunting situations ARE different than target situations and I do believe you need to practice shooting at odd angles/positions and even practice snap shooting if you want to master those skills. But I still think those all come easier if you begin with the fundamentals.

Now aiming systems are a different story...
Cutty

Postby Hank » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 pm

When I am at the outdoor range at our club, I go right to the 60 yard target. I like instant feedback, as well. I don't know how many times I have shot in the basement and it felt great, then went and shot with my buddies on trad night 20 yards indoors and was not doing well. Wasted a whole week ingraining bad form, but during the winter, what else are you going to do.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Cutty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:36 pm

but during the winter, what else are you going to do.

Keep the internet safe for Trad archers 24/7?
Cutty

Postby Bowjack » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Longtime lurker who subsequently felt compelled to reply. This has been the most informative thread I have ever read on an archery website regarding the shooting of a stickbow. I take most instructional information on websites cafeteria style, and slide my tray along until I find what I like and disregard most of it as excess verbiage. However,this has been an awesome discussion by TradArcher and has certainly been worthwhile to read.

While I agree that determined and disciplined practice is required to improve in any endeavor, I believe that only perfect practice that is both diligent and disciplined consistently results in perfect execution time after time. Formless practice without understanding and adhering to basic fundamentals (katas) of any sport or martial discipline is unyielding to consistent positive results in my opinion. More importantly, self directed practice can easily become a quagmire.

This belief is based upon many years shooting the stickbow and other athletic and martial disciplines that require commitment, and constancy of form before it can be subconsciously translated into perfect execution repeatably.

However, there are some very rare individuals who are exceptions to this rule, and they deservingly become icons.

Excellent thread TradArcher. Please continue.
Bowjack

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum