Skip to content

ILF Tuning Madness! Help!

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

ILF Tuning Madness! Help!

Postby Unspoken Wilderness » Sun May 26, 2013 3:44 pm

I go my first ILF bow--a TT Pinnacle II riser with TT wood/carbon limbs. N2N it's 64". My arrow are 30.5" Goldtip Hunter XTs, and they are 400 spine. The insert/point combo is 200 grains.

I began tuning her two weeks ago by shooting bare shafts and cutting them down until they shot straight. I then realised I could turn the bottom bolt in a full turn, which I did. With that one adjustment, the arrow then shoot considerably weak, about 16" to the right.

Then I went out about bought a 340 spine arrow thinking that would fix everything. And guess what? It shot straight until I began playing with knock point height. Because my unfletched arrow was hitting 10 inches low (knock high). I began lowering the knock point until my arrow was hitting level with my fletched arrows, but by doing so, my unfletched arrow began flight to the right by 16" once more (weak as hell).

Does anyone have any advise on my crazy tune job?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and esthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."

~ Edward Abbey, A Voice Crying in the Wilderness
Unspoken Wilderness

Re: ILF Tuning Madness! Help!

Postby Unspoken Wilderness » Sun May 26, 2013 4:05 pm

More info...

My DL is 29"
My bow is #40
My tiller is +1/8"
I originally set my nock height to 3/8"
I shoot split finger.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and esthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."

Unspoken Wilderness

Postby Bender » Sun May 26, 2013 4:28 pm

You are all over the place aren't you? Just gotta ask, if you had bare shaft flight that you liked, why the hell did you decide to tighten the bottom limb by one full turn? Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

Anyway as a quickie assessment I suspect that despite the 200 grains up front you may have shafts that are too stiff, whacking the riser and giving a false weak indication. That's just a gut feeling because it just kept doing the same thing when you went to the even stiffer shafts, once you got nock height established.

Not what you're going to want to hear but due to the wild results you're getting, probably the fastest AND most accurate way to actually resolve the issue is to go back to square one with your tuning. Reset tiller to even up to say about 1/8" positive. Somewhere in there should work. Then back to work. I'm unsure of your background/experience so I'm going to provide some links.

Although the bow is ILF, if shooting off the shelf this is a good starting point for tuning:
http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html

(BTW Adcock's old website with this info seems to be gone now.)

If you're shooting with a rest and a plunger, either:
http://www.texasarchery.org/BoardMember ... rTens.html

or:
http://www.eastonarchery.com/img/downlo ... _guide.pdf

should serve you well.

Yeah, I know. PITA. You would probably prefer some magic silver bullet answer that immediately solves all your problems. (Don't we all?) But we can sit around and make wild ass guesses for the next couple of weeks. Or you can get it handled for sure in a day or two by doing the work.
Bender

Postby Stykshooter » Sun May 26, 2013 5:31 pm

I agree with Bender... A 400 is probaly too stiff off of 40 pounds and there is no way a .340 should work off of that weight. I shoot .340's at 29 1/2" off of 58-60 pounds.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Sun May 26, 2013 6:00 pm

WAYYYYYYY to stiff......500 for sure maybe even .600. I shot 42-43 lbs on my Titan at 28 1/2" long and shoot .600 with 250 gr in the front....
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Unspoken Wilderness » Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 pm

I started with a friend's 500s at 31"--way too weak. I tried really like points as well. Then I bought tried my 29" 340s that I use for my compound--way too stiff. That's why I bought 400s at 32". I cut them down bit by bit to 30.5".

Unspoken Wilderness

Postby Unspoken Wilderness » Sun May 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Yohon, not to say nothing about nothing, but I remember going into my local archery dealer with my #30 recurve and they said I needed a 600 spine arrow. I was shooting 500s at the time and new that the nock would hit before the point if unfletched. When I asked for a 800 spine arrow to test shoot their jaws dropped. After cutting my arrow down 2", I asked for 11 more. They didn't like it when it said that I thought spine charts were usually way off.

Anywho, this time around, everything made sense until nothing made sense.

Unspoken Wilderness

Postby Unspoken Wilderness » Sun May 26, 2013 8:13 pm

I just read the ACSbows guide. That was very useful. But since it does not mention ILF bows, what tiller should I start with? 1/8 positive?

Unspoken Wilderness

Postby Bender » Sun May 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Yeah, that should work. Or keep it real simple and set dead nuts even, zero. That would work too. That would enable you to at least get something together that shoots well, then come back and look at tiller later, maybe to address noise issues (if any) or whatever.
Bender

Postby LBR » Sun May 26, 2013 9:45 pm

That's why I don't screw around tie ILF bows. I've had one or two, but I didn't tinker with the tiller. My life is complicated enough as-is.
LBR

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum