Skip to content

How come

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

How come

Postby cst » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:09 pm

Split finger releases are so much quieter. I was thinking about Roger's Practice thread and working on clearing some brush so I could put my boat in the back yard this winter and I got to shooting. :D Too much work makes Chris a dull boy. So I was shooting and the biggest thing I noticed I was having problems with was noise. The biggest thing aside from being an unusually crappy shot that is. So I sat down to think about it and halfway through my first smoke I remembered TP telling me that a split finger release was quieter. It had been quite a while since I shot that way and I had kinda forgot how high I shoot when I shoot split with the same anchor. So I thought about it and came to the conclusion that since I anchor three under index finger in the corner of my grill I should be able to get away with split middle finger anchor. Angle of the arrow and all that. I was right kind of! I had to increase my gap by about a foot give or take but it worked. And it was Quiet. Then I reopened a cut on my index finger so I decided to do what Rusty Crain told me to do an just let my index go along for the ride. I think he may have been referring to the ring finger now I think about it. Either way that worked even better, still quiet and now we have introduced a little bit of comfort. I shot this way for a while and had some good and bad groups, more good than bad so I think I may keep on keepin on.
Anyway, why is split finger quieter? Pressure on the string? TP talked about pivot points and how if he built a bow for me he would probably raise the shelf some and that would make a difference, but I didn't really understand all that.
Any ideas?
cst

Re: How come

Postby PAarcher » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:22 pm

I don't know Chris. I messed around briefly with the string walking thing. Set the bow up with a whole lot of positive tiller in the lower limb which should balance things out right? Nope. Loud as hell. Stringwalking makes my Firefly and ExtremeBF limbs loud! I don't like it. I should in all fairness give it more of a chance but I probably won't. Shooting split with even tiller, and even a slight positive tiller is nice and quiet.
PAarcher

Postby cst » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:35 pm

Yeah, I noticed that I always end up with an even tiller. My Sapphire Hawk is tillered even. HMM
cst

Postby rwsbow » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:38 pm

I think the excessive stresses on the bottom limb cause more limb oscillations and vibrations, thus more noise. I "float" my index AND ring finger, and put most of the pressure on my middle finger,(I shoot split, with index finger in corner of my mouth and web behing my jaw (ala Hank).

PA, I have to agree with you on the stringwalking..I played with it years ago but just could not stand tuning my bow for 30 yard shots and watching arrows from other distances wobble all over the place. I think we just gotta find out what we are and are not comfortable with, and just repeat it until it is "natural". But it is still fun to try it out..a guy never knows?!

PA, check with Chris and see if he wants to watch the video "Modern Traditional". He may or may not..
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby cst » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:48 pm

Chris would like to watch "Modern Traditional" thanks. I did the stringwalking thing kinda. I only did it for 300 rounds. Amazing. I had really really nice groups. Soon as I went to figure out my crawls for other distances I gave it up. I could not stand the noise and poor arrow flight. I mostly shoot for fun and I do enjoy hunting, but I always want perfect arrow flight. I like watching the arrow. Or at least the little ball of light. Whenever I start to get bad arrow flight my mood goes south and so does my shooting.
Roger, you may be onto something with the lower limb vibration and oscillation. Makes sense to me.Course if I think it is kosher, it is probably crap, what do I know. But I always try to listen to my elders. :lol:
cst

Postby rwsbow » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:07 pm

"listen to my elders"---sure ya do!! :roll:

Hey Chris, do you know what the initials "Kiss My Ass" means ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not an elder-- I'm an old fart,and old geezer,and old windbag!!!(at least that's what I tell my grandkids) :D

Ramblings of an old man...Jolly Roger!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby PAarcher » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:32 am

Chris, I have a buddy (you met Chris) who wants to see the video before I send it on. Send me your address and I'll ship it out after he's watched it. (probably next week)
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:14 pm

How did you like the grip that guy from Milwaukee with the boonie hat and the tatoos had? After he pained that riser Black, it looks somewhat similar to the Black Sheep. :D
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:15 pm

It certainly does Aaron!
PAarcher

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:24 pm

Tp sure knows his stuff !! I got to get over there and shoot with him sometime soon. That picking up the string with the middle finger, for a split shooter, is golden advice it really helps when I can remember to do it.

Lets see your converted over to the longbow and now contemplating split finger :idea:
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum