Skip to content

3 under vs. ring finger eye tooth anchor

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

3 under vs. ring finger eye tooth anchor

Postby Festivus » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Has anyone tried gap shooting but shooting split finger with a higher anchor? Like ring finger on the eye tooth. Any input would be appreciated. Does this mess up the alignment? Thanks.
Festivus

Re: 3 under vs. ring finger eye tooth anchor

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 pm

I tried it a while back but it just didn't work for me . I felt all kinda 'crowded' up and it was rehder for me to pull through my shot ...

in fact I have just done the opposite and dropped my anchor lower so that the pointer finger is in the corner of my mouth [ way easier for me to get my hand under my jaw ] ...
BEN MAHER

Postby Daniel G. Banting » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:15 am

One of the things I found with that anchor (tried it for a short time ) was that it put my index finger right on that round bone ( orbital bone?)under your eye and that tended to distort my vision. In addition I wear contacts when I hunt, if I worked at it I could pull the skin tight enough I could blink and get the contact to pop out. Shelved the idea for me.

Regards,
Dan
Daniel G. Banting

Postby Bender » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Festivus, I'm working on my split finger shooting and going at it as you describe. I feel that no, it is not optimal alignment. But then again, optimal alignment would be the under the chin anchor. It does feel weird, but if it gives a desirable result, like a reasonable point on, you will probably eventually get used to it. If you're serious don't do as most folks do, try something for about 10 shots, declare that it doesn't work, and then give it up. Major changes require major work. NOBODY ever got good at this Archery thing by half-assing it.
Bender

Postby Festivus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking for my needs it probably wouldn't fit the bill.

Bender are you doing it to shoot in an organization's shoot?
Festivus

Postby Bender » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:57 am

Yes. I'm looking to shoot the IFAA World Field Championship in 2014. IFAA mandates split for longbow. Otherwise I wouldn't screw with it. I find split to be very unforgiving.
Bender

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 pm

There are three of us that anchor with the index finger on the bone just under the eye, PA Archer, who shoots split, Yohon who shoots 3 under and me, also split at the moment anyway. Based on how well we each shoot, I'd say two out of three ain't bad - it's definitely worth working on.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Festivus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I'll see which one gives me the best alignment and back tension.

Bender, why do you find split unforgiving? Also, do you use a tab with a splitter or "can't pinch" piece between the index and middle finger?
Festivus

Postby Bender » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:27 pm

I don't know what else to call it but unforgiving. The slightest misplacement of fingers or hiccup in execution can drive point of impact from spot to the top or bottom of a target or to the left or right edges. WIth 3 under, finger placement and getting off the string clean were total no brainers, autonomic like breathing, could do it in my sleep. No so with split! Also split is more sensitive to changes in tab material. I make my own so I have to keep track of which tab I'm using as I have a couple of split finger prototypes laying around. 3 under also shows reactions to different tab faces, but the differences had to be much more significant before it made an actual difference in my shooting. By working on it now I expect that eventually split will become as natural to me as 3 under is, in time for 2014.

I worked for at least a month with a finger seperator. Finally figured out that for me it actually made consistent finger placement MORE difficult, plus seemed to make me want to hold my wrist at a weird angle, generating high tension in the string hand. Knowing that there are some top shooters who shoot split with no seperator, out of desperation, I ditched the seperator and saw an IMMEDIATE quantifiable improvement. Which admittedly surprised the hell out of me, considering that I do have big fat sausage fingers. WIthout the seperator my hand feels almost as natural as 3 under and the weird tension in my hand is gone. So with feedback from feeling the nock on top of my middle finger hand placement is more consistent, and with the hand tension gone it is becoming possible to get off the string clean again.
Bender

Postby BEN MAHER » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:17 pm

unlike Bender I have found the opposite ... 3 under kills me despite repeated attempts at it . But this may well be , and most likley be just what I am used too .....

Bender ... 2014 ? Bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mind you I am probably going to shoot Bowhunter Unlimted ........ Y'all prolly still whoop me up ! :o
BEN MAHER

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum