Skip to content

More String Stuff

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: More String Stuff

Postby Festivus » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:59 am

People who are not carful and burn the loose ends of a tie on nock, or more importantly if they use too much super glue will have strings that break. The heat, if not applied properly, and used to close to the serving and string will weaken the material.

Also, using superglue on the string nocks and having it soak into the serving and string will cause the string to break.
Festivus

Postby LBR » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:41 am

Yep--and a lot of the time when something goes wrong, folks blame the product for what went wrong rather than their own mistake.
LBR

Postby TommyBoy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:50 am

LBR, I gotta ask - do you reload rifle ammo? You seem to have the same quantitative personality that many of my rifle nut friends have. They always like to experiment with 5 grains more powder here, and different bullet weights.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Postby LBR » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:01 am

Lol--I used to reload for my .44--and I was just as anal. Loved to tinker with different loads and powders and bullets. Gave it up when I got into bowstrings serious--not enough hours in the day when you get OCD with a hobby. Made the mistake of pricing my pistol to a guy--I thought I priced it high, he bought it, I never replaced it. Still plan to, eventually.....
LBR

Postby TommyBoy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:57 am

heh, heh, - I knew it. And it's not being anal, just thorough.

I myself am the opposite - if it works, I use it and don't wonder why.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Postby whump » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:25 am

Whump Sez; super glue is probably one of the worst culprits for cutting a string. If you use it to keep a knot from coming untied you better put a molecule size drop on the tie off.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby whump » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:43 am

Whump sez; Bender I can see why you work for the faster set up . You are already a good shot, so getting that extra few feet /sec could really help out on those longer shots in a tournament. I can hit a deer in the kill zone but as far as hitting in the 10 spot every shot in a 3d tournament it doesn't happen, I get tired pretty fast so about half way thru , I start having problems.
I would also argue that weight period is going to effect speed, it may make more of a difference in the center of the string but that would have to be tried and tested, and like you said, the skinny string was effecting your release. I tend to put more emphasis on what happens in a hunting situation because that is what I concentrate on the most and I can also see why tournament shooters want to squeeze every available ft/lb out of their set up and transfer it to the arrow. I also believe the best tournament set up might not be the best hunting set up. The passion resides in the persons preference.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Bender » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Oh I don't know whump. I always say that target archery and bowhunting are exactly the same.......except for the parts that are totally different.
Bender

Postby Hank » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Yep--and a lot of the time when something goes wrong, folks blame the product for what went wrong rather than their own mistake

You mean like how ya never know when a 450+ string is going to break for some, but others can shoot the same 450+ string for years with no problem?
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby LBR » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:22 pm

You mean like how ya never know when a 450+ string is going to break for some, but others can shoot the same 450+ string for years with no problem?

Same thing happened with PENN 66 and B-75--I got called everything but smart and honest for voicing concerns over it...at least until they were both taken off the market.

When you have lots of people from different places giving you the same report, you'd have to be stupid to ignore it. 'Course I still carry 450+, I just warn against going very low in strand count. Those are the ones I've been told about breaking without warning. And I've had one customer tell me he shot the same 450+ string for over 5 years. I believe him too.
LBR

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum