Skip to content

More String Stuff

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

More String Stuff

Postby LBR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 am

Been thinking more on this. Bender noted that a shorter, smaller size serving made a difference in speed in his testing.

I was curious to know if he, or anyone else, had done a comparison with the standard size string with the same shorter, smaller diameter serving vs. the skinny string with the same serving. I'm wondering how much of that 2 fps gain was due just to the weight of the serving.

Also wondering if any of you have tried Angel Majesty. I'm about to, by request. Man that stuff is expensive! We'll see how it turns out.

Chad
LBR

Re: More String Stuff

Postby whump » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Whump sez; Even a heavy waxing of a string will slow things down some because it adds weight ,so the lighter you can keep things the faster they go. An easy application is to weigh your completed strings on a grain scale, if they are made from the same material, the lighter string [as you know] will win the speed contest every time, that is why I try to keep them as close to the exact length as possible so I don't have an extra inch of twisted up string to get to proper brace. When I made my strings from B50 I made them short and let them stretch out to a proper brace instead of twisting up, since B50 is better used for bondage sex and booby traps than a bow string I tried my best to keep it as light as possible. ---this shits fun isn't ?
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby TommyBoy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:26 pm

I can't say that I've done any quantitative testing - just "by eye and feel", but I would agree that it helps. And it only makes sense - less weight on the string will equal more transferred energy. Heck, I have one buddy that's so anal about string weight that after he twists up his waxed strings, he soaks them in alcohol to get all the wax out of them - just to keep them lighter/faster.

I think that is going to extremes personnally and could not help with string life, but whatever floats your boat. :geek:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Postby TommyBoy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Never heard of Angel Majesty. Let me know how you like it.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Postby LBR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Extra wax shoots out in a few shots--no big deal there.

Bender was saying he gained a big 'ol 2 fps by going with fewer strands AND using a shorter, smaller diameter serving to reduce weight.

I'm wondering how much difference the serving made by itself, without dropping the strands. 2 fps ain't going to change the time I set my alarm in the morning, but I am curious.

The AM is Dyneema (I forger which grade). It's claim to fame is a coating on the strands that, when burnished, is supposed to bond the string together and eliminate the need for wax. It's made in Japan, imported by BCY. Seems to be very popular with target shooters. Think it's only good for endless strings. Has it's own brand of serving as well, and that crap is higher than a cat's back too.

We'll see how it goes--if there's a call for it, I'll carry it.
LBR

Postby whump » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Whump sez; I don't shoot good enough to worry about 2 fps, but that could translate into 4 pretty easy if you lowered your brace . A lot of little things add up big for a target shooter. I set up to hunt from a known distance and it will not vary 5yds one way or the other on a a shot so I don't stress over it. A string that settles in and quits stretching is more important to me than 2or5 fps. I believe that is the same kind of string that OSB ordered about a year ago already built and his broke after a few shots. He was about to panic thinking it may have damaged his bow.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby bearauto11 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 pm

whump wrote:Whump sez; I believe that is the same kind of string that OSB ordered about a year ago already built and his broke after a few shots. He was about to panic thinking it may have damaged his bow.

I was going to say that I remembered him saying how cool that string was. I didn't remember the breaking part.
bearauto11

Postby whump » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Whump sez; he was pissed about it , he was asking if anyone thought he could get them [ string makers] to pay for his bow if a limb failed after that. He paid a wad for the string to. So it went from golly gee this is neet ,,to oh shit! in 50 shots. I can relate to the [Oh shit thing] when those turkey creek bows attacked me.
whump

Postby Bender » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Well just remember 2 things. To get that whopping 2 fps, I was doing several things at once, a package deal if you will. AND I had to shed 100 grains of string weight to do it! But since the center serving is at, ...well.... the center of the string it should have an impact. No telling though without trying it.
Whump I too go for the 'additive" advantages. 2 here, 2 there, a couple more over there, and before you know it you've gained 5-6 maybe more fps, a shootable difference. But I have also found that one must always beware the New Toy Syndrome. Seems awesome today, a cure for all that ails you, then you realize it totally sucks and you're no better off. As I admitted I dropped the skinny string for myself as it adversely affected my release. So although speed was gained, accuracy suffered.
I bet ol' OSB could speak on the subject of New Toy Syndrome.
Bender

Postby LBR » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:29 am

But since the center serving is at, ...well.... the center of the string it should have an impact.

That's what I was thinking. A few strands of string may weigh X grains, but that is spread out over the entire length of the string--even more in the loops if it's flemish. The serving, on the other hand, is concentrated right where it's going to have the most effect. My guess is reducing an 8-10" serving to 4" would make the difference.

Hadn't heard of the AM breaking. It's SK65 or SK75 (I think 65) Dyneema, so it's pretty tough stuff. Thing is, you have to burnish it to get that coating to bond all the strands together. Too much will develop too much heat, and cause a weak spot in the string. That and trying to go with too few strands, especially if it's SK65. And, once in a blue moon, something gets by QC and a bad spool gets out. That sort of thing happens when you have a human factor involved.
LBR

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum