Skip to content

Ever hear of this?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Ever hear of this?

Postby LBR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 am

Saw a claim of a bow loosing/gaining 4# just by switching strings--both "FF" type strings--9 strands of UC vs 14 strands of DF97.

The way I see it, 4# of draw weight equals over an inch of draw length. No way a string is stretching that much at full draw, expecially a FF string. If that were the case, then you should be loosing 10# or more with dacron. Or am I missing something here?
LBR

Re: Ever hears of this?

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 am

As our former president, George H.W. Bush, would have said, "Nogga, noggona happen." :)

Where in the world do these guys come up with this stuff--anyhow?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: Ever hears of this?

Postby LBR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:33 am

If you read the "test" link, he says some guy from the lw convinced him.

I read it again, and he said that the string is under the most tension at full draw...that the tension is reduced when the string is being pulled...but that's when it stretches? When the tension is reduced? Huh???

I'm trying to be polite on the thread, but it's hard...
LBR

Re: Ever hear of this?

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:51 am

Can you post a link to that thread Chad? I'd like to read it--sounds interesting.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby LBR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:53 am

LBR

Postby LBR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 am

I think my above quote is not from the test, but from a post he made.
LBR

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 am

Be pretty dang easy to test... sure doesn't sound right though. A bow drawn the same distance...ought to pull the same, unless of course, like you pointed out, the string stretched SOOOOO much that you essentially lost nearly an inch of limb travel??
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby topcamp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:04 am

well.........he spent some time testing and puts the how and results out there for everyone to see............i don't have a clue............but we probably need to have the test results repeated to see if his results stand up........lbr..... :?: :?: :?: ........if the results can't be repeated by another tester.........then we know it's bogus......it the results are repeated..............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby superkodiak38 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:36 pm

I have only tlilered a couple of bows but I tillered them to come out at the weight I wanted at the draw i wanted. I didn't read the article but the line of logic (?) set forth in what I have read here would dictate that since I tillered those bows with a B-50 string if I put a lower stretch string on it they would have a higher draw weight ??? And that it would be a measurable difference equating to poundage :?: Yeah, um gotta call BS on that one :!:
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby LBR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Yes SK--at least 10# heavier if you put a RB Ultra-Cam string on them.
LBR

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum