Skip to content

Rod's Clinic

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Rod's Clinic

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:38 am

because time isn't spent on basics

Well, I've read enough of your stuff Bender to know you already know what I'm going to tell you.... BUT... the "Basics" is what Rod's class is all about! Basics, Basics, Basics.... Set feet... grab bow....grab string....draw bow.... come to anchor.... commit.... pull through.... conclude... (or something like that...geesh, you'd think being fresh out of the class I wouldn't have to guess)...

Bottom line is, if you ingrain those steps into your subconscience... nothing bad will happen!! :mrgreen: And, its when one of those steps doesn't go "just" like you know its supposed to, that you let down. Dont even TRY to recover, just let down and start over. Its no big deal. Maybe on a critter it would be a big deal... but on a target, if you cant follow the shot sequence fluidly, flawlessly, from start to finish... START OVER.

Now I'm all excited and will go work bale for a while. Formaster for about 10 shots.... then bale!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:57 am

By the way, for you tab shooters... and none of this is official so dont quote me...
Rod designed a tab that Scott Teaschner is building (taxidermist leather worker out of Cody, WY) and it is sweet as hell. I have never been a tab guy, but I sorta like the cavalier. This is similar, but not as ridgid and more comfortable...

And this is a picture of a pig that was cooked in the ground....
Hornseeker

Postby Bender » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Naturally you're right Hornseeker. Man, you know I could talk about this stuff all night. (Its dark so can't shoot)

And BTW thanx for the pics of the tab because that is VERY interesting to me. What I see there is practically identical to the 3 under tabs I've been making for my self for about the past 5-6 years. Basically I patterned mine off a Black Widow tab. I just knew it was a good pattern. Like you sed more comfortable. The Cavalier is a good tab, but with having the "plate" made of heavy belt leather, instead of metal, when using a high anchor, (common in stickbow as we know) it doesn't beat up the side of your face. The Cavalier just beat the hell out of me when using my highest anchor.

Oh and iron mike, as for the relationship between one's head and their ass, you might want to check this out:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14897&p=167274&hilit=fifth+force#p167274
Bender

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:50 pm

The pig looks a lot tastier than the tab.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 am

Naturally you're right Hornseeker

Is that how I come off? know it all??? :lol:

Its a good tab for sure. I'm not sure when they are going to offer it for sale, but I imagine you could buy one from Scott. his website is something like wyomingwildlifeartistry.com... if you google it you'll find it...

Ernie
Hornseeker

Postby Bender » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:09 am

Hornseeker wrote:Is that how I come off? know it all??? :lol:

Ernie

No not all. Rather I'm not wanting to seem to quibble over the term "Basics". I feel that things like stance and the T-Form over upper body are basics that it is good that a newby get from a coach, but if a person is already a good shooter, then time need not be spent on them while working on a coach. But you're right, its ALL basics. Or we could call it fundamental, foundational, ...cornerstones.
Bender

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:02 am

Yeah, I hear ya.

I think the biggest thing I needed reinforcement on, was to keep pulling... pull through till its all over. Gets ya the best "release". That, and keeping that dam bow hand relaxed all the way through the conclusion!

I really need to work on my aiming system, as its a mix of gap and instinctive, which works well if I'm shooting a lot and from fairly close distances (say out to 25-30 yards max), but falls apart when i dont shoot enough and if I need to make a 40-50 yard shot...or further.

But again, if you have the shot sequence ingrained, at LEAST your windage will be dead nutz... then its just getting that dam elevation squared away.
Hornseeker

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Helen and I attended Rod's weekend course here in Florida a couple of months ago. I gained about one inch of draw legnth during the course..I had to replace my 3555's with 5575's.. I saw how simple those form Masters were so I built 3 form masters, 1 each for me and Helen and I donated one to the junior Olympic kids that Helen sees at the Range. Only takes 10 or 15 minutes to make one. I am glad we went to the Jenkins course, Helen was already a good shot..now she is even better and I am getting better cast out of my bows.
Robertfishes

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:45 am

I am having a good time working the bale and ingraining my shot sequence...haven't shot a trad arrow at a target for over a month now and it doesn't even bother me... looking forward to start working the bridge soon... have one month before season.

Robert, you ought to throw up a quick pic of what you built. I wouldn't mind buiding a couple for some buddies. I know they are simple, but like to see what others do in case its a different idea than what I have.
Hornseeker

Postby rhust » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 am

Any update on the tabs?
rhust

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum