Skip to content

Rod's Clinic

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Rod's Clinic

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:37 am

Well, I spent the weekend with Rod Jenkins and about 9 shooters/learners. I'll be honest, I was hesitant about spending the money, time and drive time to take the course. Not because I had any doubt it would be a good course, but because I've refined my shooting over the last 5-6 years with Rod's advice and from others that have learned either from Rod or folks that use the same system. I knew what to do for the most part. I ended up taking the course because I knew it would be a good time and certainly wouldn't hurt my shooting...

After about 5 hours of the first day I knew I'd made a good decision. Rod reinforced a lot of what I already knew and cleared up some concepts that I thought I understood, but obviously didn't have a total grasp on. The kicker was the second morning when we shot with the form master on. Wow. For those of you that haven't used the form master to draw with, then to shoot with.... you need to do it. So simple...and so clear.

I have no doubt, that with a few weeks of drilling on the bale and a couple follow up weeks walking on the bridge, I will take that step up in my shooting, even from where I was a couple years ago when I was shooting pretty darn good. I will also admit, that Im already a little nervous about walking the bridge, but after weeks of drilling, I'm sure I'll be ok!

One of the students is a very accomplished archer that he and I usually trade off first place every other year in a shoot we attend. He resorted to using a clicker and had it set so that he actually fired at about 26". The way Rod addressed this, I have no doubt he'll get through the TP and will not be needing the clicker. Matter fact, the way it was laid out, as far as shot sequence, there really isn't a PLACE to let go early. Maybe Mr. Casto will chime in here. Jim? If you follow the shot sequence, there simply is no place where the string is gonna leave till you commit to the shot, which is after you reach your anchor!!

If you get a chance to take this class...and aren't sure whether you should or not....Just do it.

Ernie
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Re: Rod's Clinic

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks for the post Ernie, I wish I had been able to attend when he was at Lancaster a couple years ago. It's still something I would like to do, hopefully I will have the time /leave and funds to do it if he comes back this way.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:52 am

Good job E....there is alot to digest thats for sure but I bet you'll come out the other side a better shooter for it!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:26 am

I just dont think anyone with any sense would regret taking it. He just teaches the basics that make a good shot. Its gonna be hard to just work bale shots for the next month, but I think it will be worth it!

I still cant get over his SIMPLE fix for TP...which I dont have and never will :lol: If you build your shot sequence like he outlines, you Cannot release before reaching anchor... if you do, you are NOT following the sequence!
Hornseeker

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Cool!!!! I think you should build a new bow and post about it like the old days :D just kidding,,,no really good luck JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:01 pm

I'll build a bow someday... and when I do, I'll post on it!! :D
Hornseeker

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:49 pm

E,

Glad you enjoyed your trip and time with Rod. Like you, I’m sure anyone would have a positive experience in his clinic.

Prior to his clinic I was unable to get to anchor right handed. I’d lost all my confidence and had switched to shooting lefty because of the TP. After doing his bale drills I had learned to come to anchor each time. The problem, and probably could be addressed in a dedicated TP thread, was going from commitment to conclusion. The demon is strong, and keeping your mind on the sequence without allowing him room to wreak havoc is a most difficult task.

I’m keeping him at bay (mostly), but it takes total concentration on the sequence on every shot. I’m glad you never suffered from him. I’m convinced if folks would simply take the time to get some help early on and learn the proper shot sequence, they’d never be plagued with it, or at least have the tools to overcome it.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Ernie ,
Glad you liked it as much as I did .
Like Jim, i have battled TP for quite a while . Growing up I shot a lot of IFAA and Fita , both sighted and unsighted and had what I thought was a good grasp of the basics and fundamentals of making a good shot ...

How wrong I was ! The sequence Rod showed us , wasn't re inventing the wheel nor dramatically changing anything about my shot per se , but reinforcing a simpler shot and the "why's" of what is important for a repeatable shot .

I still have a long way to go , but my archery is way more enjoyable ...and accurate . And man it sure is nice being able to settle into a nice solid anchor and not letting rip because I had no other choice .
BEN MAHER

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Ran my 2nd set of drills today... things feel good there... also worked the formaster for about 5 minutes, just drawing with it on, not releasing. Will do that tomorrow probably, if I end up sober enough....
Hornseeker

Postby Matt_Potter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Ernie - knew you were taking it this past weekend - glad you enjoyed and I am sure you will follow through to the end and be a better shooter for it.

Rod is the real deal if you have questions or hit a bad patch call him he will talk you through it and then tell you to pull your head out of your ass and go shoot the bow.

Matt
Matt_Potter

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum