Skip to content

some bows fit, others don't

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

some bows fit, others don't

Postby whump » Mon May 21, 2012 12:13 am

Whump Sez; I have pretty much shot longbows for the last 30yrs and one thing that puzzles my ass is this. Why is it that you can pick up a certain bow and it is not hard to shoot even after you have layed off shooting for a month. Then you can pick up another bow and you have to shoot it a half dozen times to get the feel of where it is shooting? It may also require a lot of concentration on form, grip etc. I have only 3 long bows at this time and the latest bow was a r&d bow that is D shaped when strung, it is the easiest bow to go back to I have ever owned. It is also a 62" bow and the other two are 68" bows . That pretty much flushes the theory that a longer bow is easier and more stable to shoot., for me anyway. Those Turkey creek bows were easy to shoot but they attacked me one day [ yes,, 2 bows in the same day. ]

So if you fellows have a favorite bow, that is good pointing , and is not a struggle to shoot on a hunting shot, what would you say makes that bow a good shooter.? High brace height, string follow bow, a short bow, a long bow, the grip, limb design ???what's your take on it? Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Re: some bows fit, others don't

Postby Hank » Fri May 25, 2012 10:01 am

grip
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Bender » Fri May 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Ditto. A number 1.....grip. Not necessarily that one style/shape is superior to another. Sure I have an opinion on that. But from the individual's perspective its all about what have they been shooting the most, and what has been most successful for them.
After that, in order I guess
Degree of centershot.
Heavy riser.
Long, nock to nock.
Bender

Postby whump » Sat May 26, 2012 3:11 am

Whump Sez; Ok, I have to admit that the bow I am shooting now has more of a locater grip, so that would def put your hand back in the same place every time, which would translate in to better accuracy. So how about brace height, if a bow shoots from a low brace , do you think your form has to be a lot better for an accurate shot since the arrow is on the string for a longer period of time ? For instance, would a bow with a 6" brace require a more perfect form through out the shot than say a bow with a 8" brace , the higher brace being more forgiving ?
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:59 am

In response to the original post I would say grip as well as relative position of the arrow to your hand ( which leads me back to grip). As far as brace goes I cannot argue that more time on contact = more chance for influence from a form error, I believe each bow has it's optimal brace where it is the most quiet and performs the best.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby whump » Sat May 26, 2012 1:54 pm

Whump sez; I agree with what you say about the brace being twisted for the least vibration on the shot and it is different depending on the bow and you also hit on the time on the string idea Kodiak. I have a long bow that shoots from a 6" brace and that is where you have the least vibration but due to the limb design the fletching rests just at the edge of the shelf. I have killed 15 or so deer and 2 turkeys with the bow but it is a better target bow than a hunting bow. If you don't hold perfect form it will throw a shot off just like you are shooting too stiff an arrow.

On the other hand I have a retired Hill bow that basically has a straight grip but shoots from a higher brace and the fletching on the arrow shaft is 4" from the shelf,[ arrow leaves the string faster after the release] it is a lot more forgiving if you are leaning over or having to twist around in some uncomfortable position or you are choking the grip to make a shot ,,as is the latest bow I am shooting which also gets the arrow off the string faster.

Since archery is more of a "personal sport in regards to what bow people like to shoot" or what works best for that particular person I was interested in what people thought about accuracy in uncomfortable positions --twisting around at the waist, bending or stooping over in a tree stand to make a shot that connects with the animal. A bow that shoots well at targets where you can stand with your shoulders square , back straight, good back tension and use good form has not always made a good hunting bow for me, however I refer to the above statement about bows being personal items .

If anyone on this forum shoots a "STRING FOLLOW BOW," I would like to hear your thoughts on the accuracy of those bows in hunting situations. By the way , thanks to all who have responded to the post.
whump

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon May 28, 2012 6:07 am

double post
Last edited by BEN MAHER on Mon May 28, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
BEN MAHER

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon May 28, 2012 6:09 am

Hey Whump
I am a bit of a string follow fan and they are my preferred hunting bow ...

I think they are just more accurate more for me day in day out ... perhaps just a bit more forgiving of my many many form errors :lol:

But I only hunt from the ground and sometimes have made hunting shots from some pretty wired and wonderful angles ... and I find in those circumstances the string follow just seems to lob them in there a bit better than my D/R bows and 'curves . Put me on a shooting Line i'd take a 'curve ... fickle ain't I ......

I own a bunch of bows but If I had to make a shot to save my life it'd be with a string follow Hill style bow ... but I'd also suggest that that may just be because I have been using them for years ... so it may very well just be because I am used to them .

And I prefer my bows long ... and my grips straight .
BEN MAHER

Postby whump » Tue May 29, 2012 2:31 am

Whump Sez; I have heard that from several people Ben , so just looking the bow over with an arrow on the string, what would "you" attribute the easier shooting of the string follow bow ? Self bow shooters are like thinking , even though they are shooting a bow that is no where close to center shot, it shoots slow compared to composites, and I have never seen one without string follow to some degree. They will all agree that string follow makes a bow easier to shoot under crappy conditions just as you described. The thing that makes a self bow hard to shoot for me is getting a set of arrows matched to it. Everything has to be perfect as far as spine goes on the straight riser with just a bump to set the arrow on. I realize there is no way for us to prove any of this, but hunting shots and target shots remain two different domains for me and I like to hear why people think a certain bow makes an easy to shoot hunting bow when less than perfect form is required on the shot.
whump

Postby BEN MAHER » Tue May 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Whump ...
I know this going to sound a convoluted and odd ... but hey I ain't a Bowyer nor technician so I can only aswer as asked .

I think it may be because the bow returns slower to brace , maybe ...and I am just guessing , it helps tidy up the flaws and /or differences in draw length , grip pressure etc and that makes it more forgiving ?

Mine certainly aren't slow, compared to my reflexed Hills styles but use lighter arrows ... but they sure aren't barn burners either ... but I don't notice any difference in my point of aim ...
NOTE ... side from Ken @ Whippenstick's Classic ... man that is quick !!!!!!

So maybe I am talking out of my arse , but perhaps ol' Howard was onto something when he suggested that "a slower bow will be easier to shoot " ? Maybe a bow that recovers a bit slower but retrunsto brace quicker as the limb tips are already back behinde the foward face of the Riser ?

Greater minds than me might know ...

They are for sure gentler in the hand though ... and again I just find them more accurate .

As a side note the bow I shot the most axxurately ever was a 'boo backed straight limb longbow ... 50# @ my draw 27" and 70" long ....and it followed the string a bunch ... til it exploded most gracefull at full darw when I was giving an archery demo to 70 school kids
BEN MAHER

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum