Skip to content

Paul Schafer Shooting Style

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Paul Schafer Shooting Style

Postby topcamp » Mon May 07, 2012 7:57 pm

that must have been before feather got his ass busted ....................
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby marc » Mon May 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Hank wrote:Gene Wensel mentioned that a bunch of pretty good bowhunters were asked to come to some ranch. The Wensel boys were there along with Paul Schafer and Noel Feather. They set up a 3D target and had a little shooting contest.... the Wensel boys dropped out about 35 yards and the match ended up being between Paul Schafer and Noel Feather. Paul hung with Noel out to 70 yards when he just missed the 10 ring. Noel hit it -- Schafer shooting one of his recurves barebow and Noel Feather a fully decked out wheelie bow with pins and a release. Gene said everyone knew who really won that day (Paul)

Another story about Schafer is someone bet him $10 he couldn't hit his $400 camera sitting on a stump 90 yards away, that shot cost him $390 :)

Obviously, he could shoot.

I heard about that one to, put it right through the lens!
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby LBR » Tue May 08, 2012 5:57 pm

I think you are on the money Bender--there are exceptions to every rule.

Chad
LBR

Postby Bender » Tue May 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Yeah, just wondering but I think worth consideration, that's all.
Bender

Postby LBR » Wed May 09, 2012 10:21 am

Everything is worth a look, but how many archers do you know of that shoot really heavy weights are known for their accuracy? Even Scott A. (can't remember how to spell his last name) had dropped way down in weight. I never see the ones that love to talk about how much weight they shoot talk about winning a tournament, or killing anything, or being able to hit a barn from the inside, it's just "I shoot 80+ lbs".

There are exceptions--the guy who won the Hunter Heavy Weight class at the IBO Trad World's last year was shooting a heavy bow, and shot the high score for the tournament. Again though, that's the exception--a rarity--a full blown 12 point albino whitetail--just not something you see much of--as was Mr. Schafer.
LBR

Postby bigun » Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 pm

if memory serves me correct Paul passed before Noel caught.
bigun

Postby topcamp » Wed May 09, 2012 2:16 pm

bigun » Wed May 09, 2012 2:42 pm
if memory serves me correct Paul passed before Noel caught.

think your right.............sure ended feathers fifteen minutes of fame as a slayer of big bucks though............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby njstykbow » Wed May 09, 2012 3:39 pm

The camera in question was Barry Wensel's. They were stump shooting and Barry forgot it and they both walked away. They bet started when Barry didn't feel like walking back down or up the hill to retrieve it.

As for the original post, I don't know what most consider a "high" anchor, but I would consider Paul's to be high. The nock of the shaft is well up alongside his nose and even with split finger puts the arrow pretty much under his eye.

I doubt there are many in the world with the combination of shooting skills, hunting skills, raw strenght and shear determination that Paul had. A combination most of us will likely never live to see again. Anyone remeber him carrying the ungutted Bighorn Sheep off the mountain over his shoulders? How about lifting either Gene or Barry out at arm's length by the ankles and shaking them for change in their pockets? Obviously...that was before the twins became heavyweights.

BTW-He shot off an elevated Bear Weatherrest, four-fletch, 4" vanes.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby LBR » Wed May 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Something else to consider when it comes to shooting styles...the only time I ever saw the footage was at the old Howard Hill, where Jerry had set up a stage and a big-screen television. He played a lot of old archery footage, that included the Wilheim (sp?) Brothers--a couple of exibition shooters from way back. If I remember correctly, they shot wood bows.

Anyhow...one shot normally--anchor on the face, etc. The other held the bow low and pulled to his waist--and was amazingly accurate. They shot ciggarettes out of each other's mouth, dice, cufflinks, etc. off each other's head (actually parted their hair, literally), etc.

Obviously that guy could shoot from the waist--but is that something you'd try to learn, or teach someone to do?
LBR

Postby Lee Vivian » Thu May 10, 2012 7:58 am

I don't know if shooting lighter weight would have helped him....he pretty much did everything anyway....I am sure he would be the first to recommend not using his style or shooting heavy....but it apparently worked well for him....on the Schafer website they have some articles and pics about him....one by Barry Wensel..pretty much the stories that everyone has been telling.....

"Paul was unique in that he was blessed with a combination of personal characteristics that made him excel in everything he did. And still he was quiet and humble and kept to himself in the way that made you feel he was almost shy. Physically he was the epitome of the American male. He had a good looking, rugged, masculine appearance and possessed a natural strength, speed and toughness that were second to none.

There was almost an air about the guy. He had excellent hand-eye coordination, positive mental control, confidence, intelligence and tenacity like no one else I've ever known. He would never give up.

When I think of the combination of attributes that made up his personality, the following words come to mind; tenacity, endurance, strength, shooting skills, self control, woodsmanship and self confidence. Let's break them down and let me give you just one example of each as related to Paul's life.

Tenacity: There's the story of Paul's 1984 pronghorn antelope that jumped the string and Paul's arrow broke it's front leg. Paul took off after the running antelope, keeping it in sight until it bedded. He'd try a finishing stalk only to have the pronghorn get up just before he got within bow range. The buck would bust from his bed and Paul would continue his running pursuit. When the buck ran, so did Paul. When he'd bed down, he'd try another stalk the best he could. He told me he felt it was just a matter of time. Darkness fell on the first day before Paul got him. He marked the spot of the bedded buck and walked to the nearest road, miles away, he hitched a ride back to his vehicle and hunting partner. The next morning at pink light Paul tried another stalk on the bedded buck only to have it move out once again. But he was getting closes. The second day the same story unfolded until late in the afternoon when the antelope stayed bedded long enough for the finishing stalk to come together and the final arrow found it's mark. Paul and his partner broke out the maps and estimated as best they could the distance of recovery. From where he first hit the buck to where he field dressed the animal...40...yes, FORTY MILES! Tenacity and relentless pursuit... that was Paul Schafer.

Endurance: Gene once hunted Dall sheep with Paul in Alaska. After a week of hard hunting Gene made the comment, "He ain't human...he doesn't get hungry; he doesn't get thirsty, he doesn't get out of breath, he doesn't get tired: hell...he's not of this world!"

Strength: Paul Schafer's strength was legendary. I think he was just naturally stronger than normal but he was also into physical fitness and worked to keep in shape. He never tried to show off but he always "just happened" to do things that were super-human. There was the time I saw him lift my 230 pound brother by the ankles and shake the loose change out of his pockets while laughing. And the time he lifted a slate-bed pool table over his head with one hand while he held a Tequila Gimlet in the other. Or the time he threw a whole bighorn sheep carcass over his shoulders and walked up the mountain non-stop. Or the time he was spring bear hunting with Scott Koelzer and they got a flat tire on the rear of Scott's VW beetle. The jack wouldn't work, so Schaf lifted the back of the car off the ground while Scott changed the tire. These feats of strength were all witnessed by different individuals and Paul would just laugh and do it.

Shooting skills: There was the time Paul and Tim Fox went elk hunting together. Tim shot a 330 inch plus bull and a few days later bugled in a mature 5x5 bull with Schaf. The bull came into under 20 yards and Paul let him walk away. As the bull walked out to 65 yards Tim gave Schaf hell for passing it up. It was a nice, mature bull; it was getting near the end of the season; it was an easy downhill haul out, etc. Paul just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Yeah... you're probably right," then proceeded to bury his shaft up to the feathers in the bull's lungs at 65 yards with the first shot.

Or the time he was scouting and they left their packs and Schaf's 35mm camera sitting on top of the stump. On the way back as they approached the stump, Paul's friend bet him ten bucks he couldn't hit the camera. First arrow...right through the ol' Nikon at what later was paced at over 90 yards...but he won the $10 bet and that was the important part! One time some rifle hunters had wounded a mule deer and were emptying their rifles at it as it ran across the prairie. Paul piled out of his vehicle and put the first arrow through the deer's lungs as it ran by at one hundred yards, finishing it off. He told the gun hunters they had better sight in their damn rifles!

Self control: Paul passed up more big game than most guys dream about. A few years back he drew a mountain goat tag for Montana. We all knew what the outcome would be. Video cameras recorded Paul passing up big billy after big billy. Finally, late in the hunt, the camera recorded Paul slipping to within nine yards of a huge bedded goat. At ultra-close range Schaf pulled his binoculars out of his jacket, checked the horns and a put a shaft through his lungs. Two months later I put a tape to the goat and found it tied the number two head in the world.

Woodsmanship: I personally don't hunt with very many guys. I'm a loner by nature, but loved to hunt with Paul and I did so off and on for close to twenty years. It was pure pleasure to hunt with the man. To watch how he moved through the mountains made you believe his animal characteristics came naturally to him. When we hunted together I personally never saw him make a mistake. When confronted in a hunting situation, where a decision must be made at the spur of the moment, I never saw Paul make the wrong decision. I never questioned his decision, I just accepted it because I knew he was right. he understood more about the movement of a bigger variety of game than anyone I knew."

The man had a pair of guns, no doubt!

Next to the pic of him and three friends behind the brown bear from Kodiak...this pic is my favorite...I have the video of the stalk and shot on disc....

I can't shoot like he did..definitely don't hunt like he could...and my Schafer is only 54#....but I give the guy his due...he made his mark....too bad it ended all so suddenly.....

Lee
Too many freaks, not enough circuses....
Lee Vivian

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum