Skip to content

Pushing to conclusion

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Pushing to conclusion

Postby str8shooter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:32 am

I'm gradually going to a more push-centered effort as the shot goes off. I think each method (push, pull, equalize) does exactly the same thing. It comes down more to how your mind works during the shot and how your body translates the thought process into actual movement.

For me, I find that when I focus on pulling I feel like I'm hitting a wall. I sorta feel like I'm maxed out. I can't keep pulling the elbow back or I'd be out of alignment and I can't get more muscular contraction engaged. At that point it feels like the back has become static and the release and follow through feels soft.

On the flip side, I'm finding if I pull into anchor until I've got the elbow in good alignment and than focus on pushing into the target I get a much stronger follow through and a more favorable bow reaction. It seems like once I'm anchored and in alignment I don't collapse and a focus on pushing allows me to continue expansion without feeling like I've hit a wall.

Funny thing is that on film there is very little difference between a shot executed by pulling vs. pushing until the follow through. But, that's for me. Like I said earlier I think it's good for an archer to try each method and find out which works best.
str8shooter

Postby whump » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 am

Whump Sez; I have done that quite a bit shooting targets and for me it is like pushing the arrow toward the mark. It will break a static release habit but here's the problem ---If I do it on a hunting shot I am not aware of it. , I am kind of a snap shooter on deer or turkey so I can never remember if I pushed on the shot or not. I think the one thing it stops is creep ,so it probably helps your accuracy as much by stopping that as anything. Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:16 am

I have a very lazy bow arm, and have been working a lot on that aspect of my shot. I can go from fair groups to spraying arrows if I am not careful. After reading this the other day though, I started pushing through to conclusion and the shafts started clanking together in the target. I am definitely going to give this more practice and try to make it routine.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:56 pm

marc wrote:Maybe pushing is the wrong term! More like actively resisting collapsing the bow arm is a better description.

I think Marc is right - Lenny told me the same things he told Yohon - no surprise there - but at some point you've pushed as far as your arm can extend so what you're doing then is actively resisting bow arm collapse - or in Lenny's terms - you are striving to maintain a state by actively resisting giving up any of what you've done to get to that state.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Bender » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:08 pm

whump wrote: I think the one thing it stops is creep ,so it probably helps your accuracy as much by stopping that as anything. Hunt safe.

It does do that. As "keep pulling" does too. For me, knock on wood, I have yet to have creeping become an issue....Yet. Its always been the dropped bow arm and/or peeking that periodically comes around to screw with me. And the "push" (or however we chose to characterize it) combats that as well for me. So naturally I wind pushing the push to fight that problem.

You know what really sucks is when the dropped arm or peeking shows up when working on tuning and learning a new set of arrows. Worst possible timing.
Bender

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum