Skip to content

New NFAA Longbow class

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

New NFAA Longbow class

Postby rsarns » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 am

The NFAA has approved a new longbow class during this Feb's meetings. I think this would make a great Bowyers challenge to build the best bow that fits into this class.... and then let me use it! :-) The rules are:

NFAA By-Laws, Article II, New Section

Longbow

1. A one-piece straight-ended bow of any material, which when strung displays one continued unidirectional curve which is measured as follows: When the strung bow is placed with the bowstring in a vertical position, the angle as measured between the tangent of any point on the limb and an imaginary horizontal line must always decrease as this point is moved further away from the bow grip. Tip reinforcing not exceeding 1/2” in height, as measured from the surface of the bow limb and not exceeding 1 ½” in length as measured from the limb tip.

2. The belly must be free of any marks or blemishes that can be used as sighting aids.

3. The bow may contain a window and an arrow shelf.

4. Only one nocking point is allowed on the string, which may be marked by one or two nocking point locators.

5. Only wooden arrows may be used.

6. Nocks may be any material, and any weight of pile.

7. One consistent anchor point must be used.

This style will be recognized in ADULT and SENIOR divisions only.”

So what does everyone think?
rsarns

Re: New NFAA Longbow class

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 am

Have you seen Kirks new Flatliner?? Better Getchya one!!!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby rsarns » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:15 am

I emailed Kirk, would like to have some R/D, just so when strung it meets the specs. Also would like a little beefier handle/riser for stability... :-)
rsarns

Postby rsarns » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 pm

After reading the thread here on the Flatliner.. and what Kirk had to say, I am impressed. Looks like I will be adding a new weapon to the collection soon.
rsarns

Postby TommyBoy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:26 pm

I don't see anything really new here - isn't this the same basic description for IBO longbow class?
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Postby rsarns » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:31 pm

TommyBoy wrote:I don't see anything really new here - isn't this the same basic description for IBO longbow class?

Not sure, IBO is almost non-existant out here. For the NFAA this is a new class, before both longbow and recurve competed in the Trad class, any arrows and just about any bow design.
rsarns

Postby TommyBoy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Well it sounds good to me. I like wooden arrows anyways, and it keeps me in plenty of side work. The reason for my response was that I have a buddy that went to "worlds" a few years back and he needed me to make him some woodies. He mentioned the regulations to me and they sounded like what you posted above. I'm pretty sure when he said worlds, he meant IBO worlds, but to be honest I don't know for sure. I'll have to ask him.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Postby Bender » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:09 pm

No, not the same. IBO doesn't specify D profile when strung.
Bender

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum