Skip to content

Great vid to watch

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Great vid to watch

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:26 am

This is really a well put together video... pretty intense... and you can glean some shooting tips from it too! I wasn't interested in archery back in 96... wish I would have been...

I wonder how many of these OLY archers bowhunt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wstdQCe364
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Re: Great vid to watch

Postby topcamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 pm

yeah it is.............but if you want to see how a master does it time in and time out..........remembering that he does his flying release hand to mess with your head......check out......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg7kIz8-5w&feature=related................rick welch in slow mo..............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby njstykbow » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 pm

thanks for sharing that E., I'd never seen the full feature before. The pressure they were shooting under is like nothing most of us will ever be able to comprehend.

TC...with all due respect...there's NO comparison between those OLY shooters and Mr. Welch. While he's a great shot with his chosen method of shooting, he could never maintain the accuracy or consistency of the OLY shooters. I'm not saying I want to shoot against him or anything close to that...he's a tremendous talent. The difference comes into play when the shots go beyond that of 3D or even NFAA Field. The OLY men start the day shooting 90 meters or 99 yards on the same target they were shooting at 70 meters in the video. 50 and 30 meters the target gets cut in about 1/2.

You won't see many men or women on the podium that don't completely control each and every shot.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby rwsbow » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for the link, Ernie...I really enjoyed it.... :)
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Bender » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 pm

That is a good video. Although its not what I do, I like watching the Oly shooters.
I always did wonder about Welch's release. Is it a flubbed shot? Or does he do it to screw with people? It seems a "dangerous" game to play. If I were to play around with my release like that it would surely come to bite me in the ass. I've also seen video from his shooter's school and he'll still do the same thing. Why would an instuctor do that to his students? To prove a point that after the shot follow through doesn't matter? Or just to screw with their heads as well?
Bender

Postby topcamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

nj........did not mean to be making a comparison....and it was a great video to see ....just two different worlds.........if welch chose to shoot oly........well i'm sure he would shoot the oly way.......and who knows..........the talent he has now might just have carried over to that world........just as i'm sure the best korean talent could make the jump to being an awesome 3d competitor. awesome talented people doing what they do best in the world they choose to shoot in..............

i just stumbled onto the slow mo of welch and thought it fit the program as well.............as for as the presssure....other than it being the olympics...........and having been in the trenches shooting [ photos ] of one of the big oly type events..........not much difference between the ibo world and any oly event as for as what the competitors go through as they all try and control each and every shot.

as for as welch's release.............his release is perfect.......what you see afterwards is there to mess with your head...........once the arrow is released.......what you do with your release hand is up to you........the arrow could care less..............just another part of his game that he has mastered............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby topcamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:24 pm

if........i was a wealthy man..........a member of upper end 1% club.........i would front a shoot with welch and the best oly shooter you could come up with..............welch shooting his equipment and his way on the oly range.......and then the oly talent shooting on welch's range with his equipment..........it might just end up being a lot closer than one would think.............most certainly would be a hoot..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFb4JOb__0&feature=related .........might just be an eye opener if both people are on their game that day.......

_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Having played both of those games at fairly high levels of competition, in my opinion there is no comparing Olympic style F.I.T.A. shooting to 3-D's. Shooting a round of 3-D can be fun. Shooting a F.I.T.A. Is work. You shoot a round of 30 3-D targets and you shoot a total of 30 arrows. You need pinpoint accuracy at unknown distances to be competitive, especially at big shoots. But, you only shoot that one arrow at each target. You concentrate on it and do your best and sometimes you even get lucky and one drops in there. Then try to stand there and put five more in the same spot. It is hard. That is why 3-D has taken off and field archery has died out. Putting four arrows in the bulls eye at distances from 30 feet to 80 yards is HARD, and most 3-D shooters don't have the skills to handle it. One of our local shooters just won the I.B.O. indoor world 3-D championships in trad. class. He doesn't like to shoot a field round with us because it is so humbling.

F.I.T.A. shooting is extremely difficult. The make or break distance is 90 meters, a long way off. Your arrow is in the air a long time at that distance. Even if your sight settings are perfect, everything about your shot sequence has to be perfect in order to just hit the target, much less the ten ring. You don't have to worry about windage so much in a 3-D but on a F.I.T.A. field wind is a big variable. I have shot in conditions where I didn't have enough adjustment in my sight to be able to aim on my target and had to instead find a sighting point on an adjacent target. In case any of you are wondering by the way, one of the best I ever saw at dropping arrows into the gold at 90 meters was our very own NJSTYKBOW. He was machine back in the day, standing shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Darrel Pace and Rick McKinney.... oh yeah, he has a national championship under his belt to prove it. (Bragging on my old buddy there a bit!)

As far as those Oly archers hunting. I don't know about the current crop but several decades ago one of the top ranked collegiate archery teams in the country was James Madison University. The team consisted of Joe Lowry (njstykbow), Rob Kaufhold (RobK), myself and Johnny Grace. I know that we pretty much suspended classes for the first two weeks of October each fall, hung up our F.I.T.A. Bows , grabbed our compounds and the Virginia deer herd took a real beating. I miss those days....
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby topcamp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 pm

just in case .........any of you want to see first hand............joe and randy will be at baltimore .........it's something to see.............even at their advanced ages.

_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:05 pm

if........i was a wealthy man..........a member of upper end 1% club.........i would front a shoot with welch and the best oly shooter you could come up with..............welch shooting his equipment and his way on the oly range.......and then the oly talent shooting on welch's range with his equipment..........it might just end up being a lot closer than one would think

Not intending on kicking sand in your coffee Top, and not knocking Welch's ability, but I would bet big money it wouldn't be close. For those that don't know, a F.I.T.A. round entails shooting 36 arrows in ends of six at each of the distances of 30, 50, 70 & 90 meters. 144 arrows for a total score of 1440. Welch shooting his equipment and a top flight OLY archer shooting his, they wouldn't be within 200 points at the end. Same rules on the 3-D course and although it would obviously be closer, the Oly archer would smoke Welch. Welch may be able to drop an arrow into the 12 ring at 50 yards, on demand occasionaly, but the guys in that type of competition will stand there and shoot 36 arrows into a 2-3 inch group routinely, or they would not be on that playing field.

As you said, it would be an interesting race.... but your horse would loose.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum