Skip to content

One Eye Open

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: One Eye Open

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:57 pm

I am an eye doc, and eye dominance is a funny thing. Not everyone has a true dominant eye. There are levels of dominance just like there are levels of dexterity with your hands. I know some folks who can write equally well with both hands, some learned and some just natural. You cant really "teach" eye dominance, but you can learn to ignore input from one eye to an extent. Where this can play to my advantage or give me the biggest headache imaginable is with folks being fitted in multifocal contact lenses. Sometimes I wanna pull my hair out with that shit.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:42 pm

I, too , am unsure about the depth perception part ... I am right handed but shoot left handed as I have very very limted vision [ legally blind and getting worse ] in my right eye ...
BEN MAHER

Postby rsarns » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:48 pm

Right handed, right eye dom, shut my left eye.. yes I gap shoot.
rsarns

Postby whump » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:46 am

Whump Sez; Ok Arrowlauncher---have you ever experienced someones eye dominance changing after having their dominant eye covered for a period of time after an injury? I had several people where I work say it happened to them after their dominant eye was covered for a period of time. We had a lot of trash in the eye problems there as dust and dirt was flying around constantly so about 3 times a week we would send someone to the eye foundation to have something removed from the sight of their eye. Safety glasses were worn but it still happened. A friend of mine who is also a bow hunter swears his changed after having to wear a patch for several weeks and it never changed back.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 am

Actually no, becasue I have never had someone's eye covered for that long in my practice. But I do remember hearing of experiments at UAB where they would get someone to wear glasses that would turn everything upside down. Before long, folks would adapt to that and no longer see things upside down... then when you took the glasses off, everything would again be upside down for a period until it reversed back to normal.

I would actually say that we were taught, no, that eye dominance is engrained from birth, but stranger things have happened and youd be amazed at what people can adapt to... and strangely what little things drive folks nuts. I'd be interested to see if these fellas didnt develop some scar tissue in their dominant eyes causing decreased vision which made them see better out of their other eye. I have seen that happen a lot before. Then the person has some significant visual confusion because their dominant eye no longer sees well enough to function and the other eye takes over or is "preferred"... but not necessarilly dominant
arrowlauncherdj

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum