Skip to content

One Eye Open

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

One Eye Open

Postby SteveMcD » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:48 am

Does anyone shoot with just one eye open? I am a right handed shooter and right eye dominant. however, my right eye is about 20/100 and my my left eye is 20/20. I understand the whole logic about both eyes open from a depth perception perspective. But I was wondering about trying to shoot with my right eye closed. Wondering if anyone else shoots with just one eye open.?
"Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle, and rub their hands and say, "Look, brothers. An archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!".
SteveMcD

Re: One Eye Open

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:10 am

Lots of people do. and if your vision is that bad in your right, I doubt its doing a "ton" for your depth perception except at real close range. Give it a try and see how you like it. You may even benefit from shooting lefty???
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby bearauto11 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:03 pm

When we coach youth trap, we make the kids find their dominant eye and try to talk them into shooting with that eye, both eyes open. However, even with all the advantages of shooting with both eyes open, there are some that are just better able to succeed by closing one eye. There are world champions that shoot with one eye.
How long has it been since you checked eye dominance? With that big a difference in vision from one eye to the oher, I wouldn't be surprised if the eye dominance has changed.
Good luck,
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Yes. I'm L dominant and shoot R. So I close my left eye - otherwise I can't hit anything predictably - though of course some days even that doesn't help. :)
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby whump » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Whump Sez; Yes, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't . I shoot point on so using the arrow for a sight I have shut one eye several times to bring everything back on track. I don't see anything wrong with it if it is working for you . Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Bender » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Gap shooter. RH shooter and right eye dominant. I shut the left eye. As for depth perception I already know how I'm going to make the shot before the bow even comes up. If I don't already know what I'm going to do then I have no business drawing the damned thing to begin with.
Bender

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:49 am

I’m with Bender…. never quite understood the depth perception argument. When you’re ready to shoot, you’ve already calculated distance and made all the adjustments needed whether you’re a gapper or stinkter.

When I shoot lefty, I have to close, or at least squint my right eye to get the arrow in alignment. When I shoot righty, I’ve noticed, while I don’t “have” to close/squint my left eye, my alignment can be off just a bit right and left if I don’t.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby bearauto11 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 am

I think there are some other advantages to keeping both eyes open besides depth perception. Including the way your eyes take in light and the way your brain perceives "normal" signals from your eyes.
But, as previously stated, it may not be enough to overcome a benefit to an individual shooter to close one eye.
(I hope I don't sound too much like Viper)
--Tom out!
bearauto11

Postby Bender » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:57 pm

bearauto11 wrote:(I hope I don't sound too much like Viper)
--Tom out!

No, not really, ......except for the sign off! :D
There are a few who do quite well with both eyes open. Some use the whole sight picture. Others are able to ignore the input from the "off" eye. I've tried it. I'm just not one of them. My left/right goes to hell.
Bender

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:10 am

I'll have to check tonight...but i think I squint my left eye a bit... but still open. My daughter is LED and shoots right... she hasn't got consistent in a method yet, but I definitely recommended to her to shut her left eye... when she first started shooting her BB gun, she'd put her whole dam face over the stock to line up her left eye with the sights... took some negative reinforcement to cure that shit!! :mrgreen:
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum