Skip to content

Show a pic of your "deep hook"

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Show a pic of your "deep hook"

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 am

Or whatever grip you take on the string...

I probably have struggled with that more than anything else. Getting past my first nuckle joint just has never felt right, so thats where my string lies now. SHould I suck it up and take a deeper hook on the string? Is it between the two joints or clean back into the 2nd? Can I do this with a glove or is it more of a tab thing??
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Re: Show a pic of your "deep hook"

Postby Mann » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:50 am

I just go into the first joint.
For what its worth I did start shooting one of the AAE tabs with the aluminum plates and that seems to have really cleaned up a lot of my release issues.It also seems to make that deep hook feel more natural for me.
Mann

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:09 pm

I gave a tab an dam honest effort and just could never get used to it... drove me nuts. Couldn't get the 3 under deal either, so I am shooting a glove split finger... I'm probably doomed.
Hornseeker

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:11 pm

First joint for me too, try holding your pinkey down, against your palm, with your thumb. It flattens the back of your hand and helped me out/
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Seems to me you have your answer!!! Seems you have tried several things and found what works best for Ernie...dont change a thing man!! Its not about a certain way or a special top secret way its all about comfort and more important repeatability. If you can do it the same each and every shot and your back tension is the same each shot they come off the same way and thats all you can do!!!! 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby rwsbow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:42 pm

First joints for me..(except index finger..it was "shortened" quite a few years ago..it's just lays on top of the nock)..cannot get used to a deep hook..

What Yohon said..looks like you found the right thing for ERNIE....
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Yeah, but Ernie is fairly impressionable and wants to know what kind of hook Yohon, Joe, Rob, Gino, Rod...et al are using!!!

TOnight I actually worked the bale with a cartel tab... I can get that deep hook with that tab... not with any glove I've used, but maybe I can find another glove. That first joint...though has worked for me, does create more stress in teh hand..the deep hook is stronger... then again, with the deep hook my anchor doesn't feel as sound as when I'm in the first joint....

:evil:
Hornseeker

Postby Bender » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Wait a minute. I thought that there was either "deep hook" OR "off the finger tips" with the deep hook being the first joint. That is, the joint closest to to the figer tips. You mean people actually hook up using the second joint, the one closest to the palm?!?!?!?!?! If somebody is able to make that work, more power to 'em. But personally it would have never crossed my mind to suggest that to anybody. Just being honest I'm not seeing it as being a good idea. Hornseeker I know you're a HELL of a shooter, just looking to come back after some time off. Given that this little idea is already screwing with what we know was a good working form, I'd think twice about this.
Bender

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:51 am

Good point Bender (last line)...

Also, making a list of names as I did is always stupid, cause you always forget guys... your name should have been on there too, as well as many others that frequent the forum.

But... to address the jist of your post, Yes... people hook deeper than the first joint. I shoot one of those gloves that only has the finger pockets and the pockets aren't deep enough to get past the first joint. WIth the cartel or cav tab, when you put the string against the plate and wrap your fingers around it, you are well into the 2nd pad if not back into the 2nd joint. It actually feels really good, as it takes much less effort to hold the string, puts almost no no strain on your finger muscles...and the release is clean as can be....but my biggest issue with it is that it totally changes the feel of my anchor,... soooo......
Hornseeker

Postby Bender » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:04 am

Oh, the flattery is always appreciated. :D
I have several full finger gloves laying around and looking at them I don't any of them would work either to hook deeper than the first joint. I certainly understand that a DEEEEEEP hook past the first joint would be stronger. I'm just really surprised to hear you say that it comes off clean as well. That's a lot finger to get blown out of the way by the string. Odd. But I'm not so dense as to argue with results. If it weren't a clean release, you would know that in the first few shots. If you continue with it, I'm sure that you would get used to it and have your form and anchor resettled in a little while. So really just watch out for "New Toy Syndrome." That is something that I have learned that I myself am easily subject to.
Bender

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum