Skip to content

Bareshaft help...

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Bareshaft help...

Postby Rigs » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:20 am

Greetings All,

I've been dinkin around with carbons trying to find one that will shoot good from my bow. Well, I'm close, but I cannot seem to get rid of nock high. I've walked the nock up and down on the string and get close (@ 3/8th above) but it's still there. I've taken the nock down until I know it's slapping up off the shelf. I really try to squeeze with my back and keep my elbow parallel to the shaft so the pressure is equal on my fingers (shoot split). Any suggestions??

Feathered shaft shoots great...
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Re: Bareshaft help...

Postby Bender » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:41 am

Nock slide, where the nock is loose enough to slide down the string upon release is generally more likely to happen to 3 under shooters. But it can happen with split as well. Just for the heck of it add a second nock set under the arrow nock and see what happens.
If that doesn't get you anywhere, check for flecth interference where the bottom hen feather may be running across the shelf, giving the nock end of the arrow a little bump up as it flys by. I like to smear lipstick on the edges of the fletch and shoot the arrow. Hooker Red is my color of choice. It will leave a clear definitive smear of color on the bow. Kinda messy, but it will clean up, and the results are more clear cut and easier to interpret than using powder. If you happen to get indications of bottom hen feather hitting the shelf, as a quickie check try shooting cock feather in and see what happens with that.
Bender

Postby Rigs » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks for the reply Bender. But the fletched shafts fly pretty good...it's the dang bareshaft that pisses me off... :evil:

I will try the second nock set though...
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Rigs, what range are you shooting your groups at? Just curious. If you are too close your arrows may still be recovering from your release... To get a really good idea of what I'm doing when bare shafting, I like to be at least 20 yards. Then of course... fine tuning further than that.

So...at say 20 yards, how much higher are your fletched shafts hitting than your bares??

So, tuning the spine to your bow is THE BIG THING... remember.. the nock point is not near as critical for good arrow flight. Matter fact, once I get my bares and fletches all hitting the same vertical line, knowing the spine is good, I can tweak my nock height for what I want. Shoot, on a couple bows I have, I get great flight from 3/8 to 3/4 inch nock height. Just make sure its high enough that you are getting good clearence...

I think OL still has his tuning page up, which is what I've always used... something like bowmaker.net/tuning or just google OL's site and his tuning page is on there. It could, as you have guessed...have to do with your release. Maybe even dink with that abit and see what you find out.

I am getting close to bare shafting some arrows out of two different bows....hopefully I can get it to work!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Bender » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Yeah, that link is still active. Here it is:
http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm
Hornseeker, so I'm not the only one who dicks with nock point for specific results, yet still gets good flight? Its interesting isn't it? Within limits you can set for having a specific gap at a specific yardage. It helps when dealing with these damnable woodies. Mostly though I really work this when setting up for Indoor. I don't know about you but I found this became a real possibility for me when I went to shooting cock feather in.
Bender

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:26 am

One thing I found, that goes along with what you are saying, is that if I have a high nock point, something like 5/8+...I get NO contact regardless of how I nock my arrow, cock in or not... I really like that cause being cheap, sometimes I just put 3 feathers of the same color on my arrow!

Yeah, get the spine stuff squared away and I think you are good to go...doesn't take much to get the nock point squared away after that. Even if your bares aren't grouping vertically with your fletched, you still get great flight...unless you are too low and are thumping the shelf.
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum