Skip to content

Longer bows and others stuff.....

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Longer bows and others stuff.....

Postby Yohon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Ive pretty much shot 60" bows but have read a few threads lately where guys talk about how much "smoother" and "easier pullin" longer bows are. Now it seems to be "longer" starts at 64" and goes up from there. I shot a 64" Stallion for a while and never felt it any smoother than my 60" but thats about my experience with "longer" bows. Ive given some thought to trying and Excel riser with my BF's to see how it shoots but with shooting 3 under I just cant see it making a major difference in my shootin but what do I know :? Whatcha guys think?

I've been playin with some diffrent stabilizers on my Titan and I love the way the bow shoots with them on there! Cant say that Id hunt with one because of canting and out of position shots but my groups did shrink out at my "point on" and beyond. I see why Anzack and others use em on the 3d range thats for sure.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Re: Longer bows and others stuff.....

Postby daohead » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Some of our fellow pirates tried "Wu Wei" (my 70"NTN longbow) at Horicon last July. I think it is amazingly smooth, but I made it so I might be biased. If I make it to Baltimore you are welcome to shoot it and see for yourself.
daohead

Postby Bender » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:06 pm

I don't know. Smoothness is a real quality in a bow, but I also think there is a high degree of subjectivity. Personally I seem to be rather oblivious to it unless the bow wants to start stacking before 28" of draw. And with shooting 3 under I can't say I really trip out over finger pinch, even down to 58" bows. The only thing I can say about the longer bows is that it does make a more stable launch platform. That little bit more mass out at the end of a longer lever arm does have a real effect on raising inertia. But the effect isn't huge, I think its more of a serious target shooting thing. I'll give it up for a shorter bow for hunting any time.
Bender

Postby Stykshooter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:35 pm

I have shot 62" bows for over 20 years mainly because I felt they were smoother at my 29" draw than the few 60"ers I had experience with. Then I shot the Onyx at 58" and had to rethink this whole bow lenght thing again. It is smooth with a set of extremes as far back as I care to draw it. I still like the longer bows better as like I said, they feel smoother and I don't have any issues with finger pinch. I was reluctant to go any longer even though several of my hunting buddies shoot 64" bows as I felt it would be more inconvienent in the woods and a tree stand.

Gotta tell ya, after spending this entire past season toting a 68 inch Hill around with no issues, I need to rethink this whole bow lenght thing. I had one tree stand up, that I ended up shooting a doe from, that I had to really wiggle the bow around in order to get the shot. But to be honest, it is tough to get a shot from that tree with any bow. I had a second time where I was hunting from a ground blind and I had to raise up a little further than just shooting off my knees as the lower tip was going to contact the ground.

70% or more of my bowhunting is done from a tree stand and for the most part, a longer bow isn't a handicap at all in that situation. I do know that I don't want to go any longer than 68" though. That is the longest bow that will fit in the back seat of my truck.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby marc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:23 pm

I just switched my extremes from my titan to my excel last weekend. They are mediums and they seem lighter on the excel even though they are not. Alot smoother. I like that for shooting a bunch of arrows, not so important when I'm hunting.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby Yohon » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:19 am

Thanks guys, some food for thought thats for sure.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Brian Wagar » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Been messing with longer bows a little myself this year, after shooting 58 i went to a 60 which is a bb warf, and even put a set of medium's on the bb which was nice and smooth but it cost me a nice buck out of a tree this year and i lost a bit of performance which i was surprised so for me long is going to be a 60 and i still like my old bill stewart 58 inch bow it's going to my grave with me. Brian
Brian Wagar

Postby Hornseeker » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:03 am

Yo,

Smoothness is individual to each bow and though long "might" be smoother, its not necessarily a rule. As you know, smoothness is equated to #'s per inch, or whatever increment you want to use... pulled. There are shorty RC's that pull "smooth" to 30 inches.. and there are certainly 60 and 62" bows that pull smooth past 30. Smooth is pulling the same weight, every length interval... Im sure you know this. Pulls 2.5# from 26-27...then from 27-28...then from 28-29...then from 29-30....etc... right? Thats what the Extremes do on an appropriate riser. Thats what Many bows do.

I've had guys RAVE about the "smoothness" of the bows I build and I dont argue with them, but the scale tells a different story! :? My bows aren't "smooth" per say... They gain weight slightly fast in each inch of pull after about 27 or so. I think for your normal...good shooters... its not such a big deal. Take it to the next level of higher competition shooters and it IS a big deal. Go to Olympic level and its a huge deal.

Anyhow... just an FYI that I'm sure you knew. Smooth is good... but not necessarily necessary!! Kinda like Bender was saying.

Hasta
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Not to High Jack topic,,,,But E I miss looking at your bows!!! how bout you make a new one,,or at least show the new guys what you do???? please,,,,JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Postby cst » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Normally a longer lever is a easier to use. That assumes that the levers being compared conform in design and structure. Bow limbs seem to be pretty variable there. To me, anyhow. Yohon, I think this is another situation where there are no hard and fast rules.
cst

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum