Skip to content

Teaching somebody to shoot a bow.

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Teaching somebody to shoot a bow.

Postby GuyWithBow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:05 pm

I am going on an elk hunt in September with a buddy of mine who has never shot a bow before. I thought him wanting to go on an archery elk hunt when he has neither shot a bow or hunted an elk was a bit ambitious, but he likes a challenge and knows what kind of work it is going to take. He doesn't care what kind of bow he shoots, so a compound seems to be the way to go. Before I stopped to think about never having taught someone to shoot, I told him I would help him out. The good news is he a blank slate with no bad habit to break, bad news is he is an older guy so the physical part of shooting the bow may be a challenge. Here is my plan:

Going to back the weight all the way off the bow (older long ATA Darton), strip it down to bare bow, and have him start blank baling with fingers until he gets his form down. Figure will take 2-4 weeks. Then start adding on an accessory every two or three weeks starting with the release, then a peep, and then the sights while slowly adding draw weight to get something reasonable for elk. Once he it fully rigged and form stays solid, will have him start bridging out on an 8" pie plate to 40 yards. Once he can do that, put him back on the blank bale at least 3 days a week and do a 3D round once a week.

Does ths plan make sense? Is the way I wish I would have been taught. Would have saved me 25 years of frustration I think...
GuyWithBow

Re: Teaching somebody to shoot a bow.

Postby rwsbow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 pm

If he is gonna shoot with a release, start him with a release...starting with fingers won't help...

Accessorize the bow prior to teaching him...otherwise he will have to adjust to "add-ons"...

With sights, release, peep sight, and stabilizer on a older,longer ATA compound with moderate let-off, he should be dead on out to 40 yards in less than a month with sufficient practice time...

Just my opinion....
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Bender » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:08 pm

I gotta back rws. I think he's right. Perhaps the only thing I might question is that form will be solid in 2-4 weeks, and he'll be dead on in a month. I'm thinking maybe add a month or so. Whatever. But perhaps more importantly at the same time within that initial month you will surely at least get to where you can make a realistic assessment if this is truly even feasible for this particular person.
Bender

Postby GuyWithBow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Was thinking starting with fingers to "feel the bow". Just might be my bias, but is like my whole right arm is numb when I use a mechanical release. I can't tell what that side of my shot is doing for shit. One of those strange little things blind baling taught me...
GuyWithBow

Postby Bender » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:16 am

I think that's an example of rws's point. You came to expect that feedback from having the string in your fingers. Now its all weird when you use a release and take away the expected feedback. So for your prospective protege, the thinking is don't start training him to have and expect a certain feel or feedback, knowing all the while that you're only going to take it away from him later and mess with his mind.
Look, anything is "doable". Its not like his head will explode or anything right? He could surely learn to deal with it. Just thinking about what is most likely to generate good results in the shortest time.
Bender

Postby GuyWithBow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 am

Damn, I didn't even think about the release being weird because I did so much finger work. A release has always felt weird, just couldn't figure out why... Shot fingers the first 15 yrs or so I shot a bow. Guess just never adjusted.
GuyWithBow

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum