Skip to content

When is it safe to start paper tuning?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

When is it safe to start paper tuning?

Postby GuyWithBow » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:59 pm

I have gotten to a point on the bale to where I have a constant anchor, grip, and am doing OK-ish with good back tension, but still having good days and bad days. Was wondering when it was safe to start fine tuning the bow a bit and start paper tuning, any thoughts?
GuyWithBow

Re: When is it safe to start paper tuning?

Postby Bender » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Oh no! Its NEVER safe to paper tune! You could get paper cuts! :D
What happens when you bare shaft tune? Do you get consistent results? When you interpret those results and make changes do the changes have the expected affect? If the answer to that is yes, then I think you should be OK.
Keep in mind that paper tuning can be problematic for the finger shooter. Much more arrow oscillation than when shooting with a release.
Personally I like paper first, gets my nock point set and it helps confirm that my shaft selection isn't too stupid and like maybe I'll actually hit the bale. When I'm kinda happy with that I move on to bare shaft tuning. I prefer doing it in that order because with bare shaft I can keep moving back further and further, becoming ever more nit picky. Paper tuning is just a single snap shot in time in the flight path of the arrow.
None the less, do it. Its interesting to do. BUT if you get weird results in the paper that don't make sense, STOP. DO NOT do anything really radical to your state of tune. Remain "results oriented". What are the real results that are shown to you when you actually shoot arrows into a target.
Bender

Re: When is it safe to start paper tuning?

Postby GuyWithBow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Bender-

That all makes sense. Will get started!
GuyWithBow

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum