Skip to content

Tuning for 4H?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Tuning for 4H?

Postby Hammerhead » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:24 am

My 11 yr old stepson is starting in 4H archery with a recurve. He is shooting O.k. but... I had him shoot blindbale eyes closed. He drew differently, magically his arrow was too short! I guess arrows are like shoes when a child is growing.
I need to buy him some longer ones I guess. Should I have his arrows tuned for him or does it not really matter? I would like to get the arrows a little longer so that he can grow into them and save some cash.
Right now he is shooting Easton Alluminum Platinum 1913 XXX75 Superlighs cut to 26".
Would a heavier arrow help fight the wind?
Thanx in advance,
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Tuning for 4H?

Postby Kenro » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Hes 11 and pulling 26" arrows off the shelf? Is he 6' tall already? :shock:

I wouldnt worry to much about wind factor. Wind will pretty much affect the arrows reguardless of a few grains of difference.
If you want a decent ecconomical arrow that comes spined for 30 to 50 lbs, look at the CX "thunderstorms" or now they are called the "predator" since the thunder storm name was disscontinued. I believe they come 30". There are alot of good youth arrows to choose from but that was the first to come to mind. For all out durability I would get him carbon shafts. they will usually outlast aluminum for durability.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Hammerhead » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:08 am

Kenro,
Thank you for the response.
I measured the arrows from inside the nock(notch) to just behind the field tip. The actual shaft i guess would be about 25.5". You think thats long? Maybe we are doing something wrong?
I've got those alluminum arrows sold to one of his buddies. I'll look into the carbons you mentioned at 28".
Thanx,
Joel
Hammerhead

Postby Bender » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:01 am

One thing you asked that I want to adress is that I firmly believe that YES it does matter if the arrows are tuned, even for kids. Sure its not going to be a perfect state of tune. Too much is going on with kids to achieve that. Like his changing draw length you mentioned. But really you do want to get the arrows matched to him and his bow as best as possible.
I see this a LOT. Dad has Junior with him at a shoot. If you watch Jr execute a shot he doesn't look too bad. But his arrows all fly like crap, just wildly spraying everywhere. You can see that the arrows are hideously out of tune, usually insanely stiff. And Jr? Look at his face. He's either embarassed, disappointed, ashamed or pissed off. Or some combination thereof. I can tell you that Jr there will not be shooting archery for very much longer. Kids aren't stupid. Jr knows at some level that he basically hasn't a chance in hell of hitting the target. Even a beginner you have to give them at least a fighting chance of hitting something.
What I like to do with kids is go ahead and quickly tune their bow and arrow myself. Maybe use a half assed short draw, just to get close to what they're shooting. (Looks like that won't be a problem in your case though.) I'm just looking to get half way decent arrow flight out of it. Its not perfect but at least the kid has a chance.
I know, deep down in my heart of hearts that those "coaches" that claim that tuning a bow for a beginner are idiots. Taking a bow that is so jacked up that even I can't hit anything then handing it to a beginner has certainly got to be one of the faster ways of ensuring that the beginner will drop archery as quickly as possible.
Bender

Postby Hammerhead » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Bender,
I believe the same way. Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to hit the range and ill have him shoot blindbale and have him shoot out to maybe 60 yard just to watch arrow flight.
Again, thank you,
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum