Skip to content

Bale and bridge is hard...

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Bale and bridge is hard...

Postby GuyWithBow » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Pretty much just that. It looks easy on the video, but it isn't. After two weeks, i still dont think i have managed to string together more than three consecutive shots that feel or end the same. Couple questions about it because this apparently going to take awhile.

1) How many arrows a day is reasonable for a decent progression?

2) Is there any harm In shooting a different sighted bow during the process at regular targets?
GuyWithBow

Re: Bale and bridge is hard...

Postby Bender » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Only you can decide what is giving you "decent progression" 100 arrows is considered good but it can lead to fatigue and errors and bad habits creeping back in near the end of the session.
How serious are you about what you want from the blank bale. "Technically" you shouldn't be messing around with anything else until you get squared away with whatever element you're working on improving/correcting. Until you've got it totally ground into you, when faced with a target/animal it suddenly becomes way too easy for what you've gained to just fly right back out the window. In one brain and out the other.
Bender

Postby Yohon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:46 am

Great post Bender!!!! 'In one brain and out the other'.....I can relate too well!!!

Dont do bale and bridge at same time.....get YOUR shot set like concrete on the bale and then go to the bridge to slowly introduce the target to your shot.

It takes some time to get thru it but this thread has a wealth of knowledge in it

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2545
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby GuyWithBow » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:37 am

Just so we are clear on the doing both at once, I am baling with a target recurve barebow and also trying to get a sighted compound set up for a hog hunt I'm doing this winter. Am taking setting up the compound really slow, one problem at a time and only a few shots a day. Figure it will take a few weeks that way but won't get all flustered and pissed of as I tend to when setting up a bow.

My goal is to have a bow I can just pick up shoot well without much effort. I am using an old Oneida I have had for almost 20 yrs and fits like an old pair of jeans. Was originally going to barebow it too, but once I started the bale work I found it really easy to focus on aiming and shooting sights well for the first time in my life, decided to stick with it to make my hunting bow as low maintenance as possible. Not sure where I am going with the bale and bridge yet, but it seems to help my shooting the compound tremendously and is WAY harder to do than I thought. I can definitely see why just working on one thing at a time is a good idea. It is really hard to do any one part consistently, but doing it all "perfect" seems like a far off dream. 100 arrows a day seems doable, will start there. Ultimate goal is shooting a sighted recurve really good! Figure will take me at least a year.
GuyWithBow

Postby Yohon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Just some FYI....when I was doing bridge work I did/do 20 arrows a day, thats it, BUT they were as mirror image as I could make em. Quality vs quantity!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby PAarcher » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm not near the expert these guys are at shooting arrows and developing their shot but I do know a little bit about shooting guns, and the principles of practice are much the same.

Shoot as many shots as you are comfortable with while still being able to maintain shot quality. As soon as you start to feel yourself degrade STOP. You will do yourself no favors by pushing past your limits. That number may vary from day to day so don't get too caught up in the numbers game. As you progress you will invariably gain endurance and be able to up your round count.
PAarcher

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum