Skip to content

Simple stupid question.

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Simple stupid question.

Postby GuyWithBow » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Look at the sight (whatever you are using a one) or the target? I've tried both, both confuse the hell out of me.
GuyWithBow

Re: Simple stupid question.

Postby Bender » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Target in focus. Its the object of my intention. Its all psychological. Your psychosis may vary.
Bender

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:21 pm

I try to keep my concentration on the mark, keeping the pin, or the tip of my arrow in my periphery.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby rwsbow » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:14 pm

I use a ring pin, so I look through the ring and see only the target...the mind will automatically center the ring on the target every time...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby GuyWithBow » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks. I suck at sights, always have. From the time I started shooting couldn't hit consistently with them. Think target panic had a bit to do with it, but since learning the right-ish way to ficus and hold, is easier to aim. Can actually make a conscious decision on my focal point and the years of firearm training I have done since the last time I made an effort to shoot a sighted bow is creeping in with the whole "front sight focus" thing. Will stick with looking through the sights then.
GuyWithBow

Postby longbowguy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:00 pm

It ain't stupid nuttin. Actually it is a good one. There are many aiming systems with and without sights. Nearly all involve focussing on the point you intend to hit, target center. That is akin, in firearms, to shotgunning, or scoped shooting, or point shooting with a handgun.

There is an exception. It is called point of aim or point on point aiming. It involves focussing on the tip of the arrow and placing it on an aiming point, mostly below target center. The aiming point might be a target ring, the bottom of the paper, the base of the bale or a dandelion. It is akin to shooting a handgun or rifle and focussing on the fore sight, except that it is indirect aiming in that your are aiming at a point other than target center, mostly. That is akin to long range riflery where you have to hold off center for wind or mirage. I say mostly as there is one distance at which the point of aim is actually on target center. This distance is called the point on or point blank range. But most of the shots we face are at some other distance. This method can be extremely accurate on the target range, and a top hand can rival sight shooters. It is fairly popular in Europe where they are mostly not allowed to hunt. And it is perfectly valid here for target and 3D competition. It isn't very handy for hunting but some archers use it. - lbg

You might care to give it a whirl. It works best with the three fingers under hold, and maybe a fairly high anchor.
longbowguy

Postby Bender » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Hey, how's going lbg? Still in the plans to come back to CA?
What you describe there is how I aim. However, once I find where I'm going to hold, what I am holding on is in focus, the arrow is fuzzy.
Bender

Postby longbowguy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:22 pm

Yep, hope to be back for the spring season. Still shooting about as well as ever. Cheers, Steve
longbowguy

Postby Hammerhead » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:34 am

For a pistol I was always taught front sight, front sight. The front sight is the focus and the target is slightly blurred. I shoot my bow that way... I think. My guess would be that it is easier to center on a fuzzy target than to center fuzz on a clear target.
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum