Skip to content

Practice

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Practice

Postby rwsbow » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:48 am

What does everyone practice on when shooting besides the obvious basic fundamentals and putting arrows in the bull?!
I know it's different for most people and it's normally something that you are having trouble with at the time. I know it's also different for target/field/bowhunting practicioners?Just kinda curious...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Re: Practice

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:58 am

I'm practicing shooting at stuff of different elevations and also practicing the "brain game", getting my focusing right going through the shot sequence.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby cst » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:58 am

Just before and during the season, I practice on speeding up. I shoot fewer shots and end up trying to do each shot from a different angle or distance. After bow season, I shoot more to build strength and endurance and hopefully ingrain good form. Currently I am trying to learn to point or shoot naturally a little better. I shot with TP of Kimsha Archery friday and boy is he a good (and fast) shot. Course he has been doing it for 50 years, but I want to have to quit thinking about gapping and just shoot and hit. I don't expect it to happen overnight but this is my goal.
cst

Postby cst » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:11 pm

Alright Roger, I went out and worked on my release today. I couldn't stop thinking about this thread and concentrate on the shot. There was this little voice in my head saying I really aught to be working on some specific element of the shot instead of just smoothness and speed. Thanks a bunch.
cst

Postby rwsbow » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:41 pm

OOps, Sorry!!

(Did it help?)
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby cst » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:33 pm

No need to apologize. It was definitely quieter. I was not initially as consistent with the new anchor, but I think that that is just a matter of time and practice. I am amazed at the difference in volume and tonal quality of the sound of the two releases. I think I might be able to extend my range a little bit with this too. I just with I could shrink my gaps some.

Another thing I worked on today was the instinctive or pointing method. I have had the pleasure of shooting with more guys shooting stickbows this summer than ever. Quite a few of them shot this way and some of these guys are exceptional shots. I would like to be able to shoot as accurately and quickly as these fellas. I always said that I would never shoot a gun without using the sights, and I don't but I have been wondering how much I actually use the sights shooting clays. Don't care to start a big debate here just thinking out loud.
cst

Postby Hank » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:50 pm

Slow down to work on the mechanics and build confidence in the point/aiming.... after you really get it down then just work on speeding up the rythym of the shot.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby rwsbow » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:07 pm

Chris,
For a person that either has or is able to attain a high degree of hand-eye coordination, barebow shooting is real hard to beat. And there are some very talented individuals that have developed their skills to an amazing degree.

Then, there are people like me!! I can shoot very accurately barebow to about 15-17 yards..one yard beyond that and I lose my sight picture and have no idea WHERE the arrow is going. That's why I use sights.And I have relied on them completely for the last 35 years. The eye-hand corrdination is not there..ever see that guy that swings at a baseball or tennis ball and doesn't even come close to it---that's me!!
When I practice, I am trying to get out of the "formalized" style of FITA shooting--I'm not a clicky-click shooter--and more into "hunter mode" ..more natural stances,swing draw till ring pin circles target,hit the anchor,pause, and let go. It's still not "there" yet but getting closer.
Remember, Hank is the best when it comes to the "Hanky pointing method"!!

Ramblings of an old man..Jolly (still struggling at it)Roger !!!

rwsbow

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:21 pm

I like to start out up close and feel the shot, think about pulling with my elbow, my hand is a hook, pull through the shot, push pull, anchor and subconscious release. I will shoot a few this way until I think its clicking and then back up and shoot only concentrating on the spot and relying on muscle memory to make the practiced happen. If it starts to go down hill, I move up and make adjustments until I feel satisfied and move back again and shoot until I feel and see a few good shots then its time to hang it up until next time. Just my .02 ;)
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Hank » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 pm

Sometimes I think the release should be more mechanical. Instead of trying to get it to roll off your fingers the exact same way everytime.... do something to force it off the fingers. Drop the hand straight down, rotate it counter clock wise. That way it has to do the same thing and with little effort. Wouldn't have to do it mystically either. Just do it :)
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum