Skip to content

The anchor and pulling

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

The anchor and pulling

Postby marc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:54 am

I was picking talking with Chris Saturday as we were shooting after getting his deer out of the woods about shortening my gap. After we taked I went home, switched tabs and started looking for a higher anchor. Well since I was thinking so much of the anchor I found myself pulling differently on a few different shots and wondered what some of you guys do. I found on a few shots I locked in on bone and kind of rotated my head as I pulled through the shot and on others I was letting my hand slowly pull away from my anchor till the shot went off. So what do you guys do? Think I shoot better rotating my head.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Re: The anchor and pulling

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:51 am

If I am shooting field points or blunts, judo's I have two anchors. One is the "C" anchor with my thumb under my jaw, the second is the string touching the end of my nose. Shooting broadheads my third anchor is the back of the blade against my index finger of my bow hand. Once I anchor and I have acquired my target I just keep pulling until my thumb is on my shoulder, conclusion, and somewhere in there the arrow gets gone.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:28 am

"somewhere in there the arrow gets gone" ;)

Marc, "I think I shoot better rotating my head" that sends up a flag to me in so much that it's movement/change while the arra is getting ready to launch and you want no changes once you get on target...........Get that anchor, get it solid and try pushing/pulling rather than rotating...just a thought?
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby marc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Yohon wrote:"somewhere in there the arrow gets gone" ;)

Marc, "I think I shoot better rotating my head" that sends up a flag to me in so much that it's movement/change while the arra is getting ready to launch and you want no changes once you get on target...........Get that anchor, get it solid and try pushing/pulling rather than rotating...just a thought?

So as your pulling through the clicker you are also pulling through your anchor point?
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby Yohon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 pm

No I like to think that my string hand/arm isnt moving at all, that its all a pull or bunching of the back muscles, more specific the bunching of the Rhomboid muscles on the right side that pulls me thru the clicker.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Ted K » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm not as technical as most of you, but I do the same as yohon I think. I get to my anchor - through whatever means the situation dictates, but once I'm at anchor everything is the same. Concentration, stillness, consistency, and then my back pulls my hand to the top of my shoulder. I'm not too aware at the point of release. It just goes and I rely on my form to be consistent - even if it's ugly.
Ted K

Ted K

Postby Bender » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:30 pm

I too believe that the head rotation is not good. At some point, conscious or subconscious, the decision is made for the fingers to relax. You don't "Let go of the string," rather you "Let the string go." You set it free. To me a good release feels as the string has somehow passed through my curled fingers. Kinda Zen. Anyway it is back tension, those rhomboids, the pulling, that actually gets your fingers out of there clean. There really is nothing that you can actively do that can get your fingers out of the way fast enough to clear the string.
Bender

Postby whump » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Whump sez; Yep--head rotation =bad. get a solid anchor on a bone somewhere and think of holding an orange or tennis ball between your shoulder blades at full draw, get that muscle memory down and not thought about. I anchor under my eye on my cheek bone, close shots = point on shooting even with re-bar weight arrows. I don't draw on a deer unless I am going to shoot the damn thing because my release is automatic, when the shot is on and looks right, the string is gone . I tried that draw and let down crap one time for a pass shot and I shot the deer dead as dirt. It is almost like target panic for me but in a good way, when everything comes together my release is not thought about or reasoned into being.I stop looking at anything but the spot I want to hit on the animal as soon as I have determined I am going to shoot. I am seeing nothing but the shot placement, then draw, about one sec at anchor and the arrow is on it's way. So I really could have just shortened this by saying I agree with Bender. If it is Zen, it's the cats ass on a hunting shot. Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby marc » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Now I am really messing with stuff and trying to find a higher anchor to reduce my point on. Problem is my cheek bone moves the nock out from under my eye.
marc

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:32 pm

I know what you mean marc. When Rod taught me proper alignment I had to change my anchor. The web of my hand is at the back of my jaw with the thumb lying under the jawbone. I’ve been fooling around with getting mine higher too. It’s just not coming around. I can’t get full extension and get the arrow under my eye at the same time. At this point I’m going to have to learn the wider gap or keep using a sight. :^(
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum