Skip to content

The essence of having COMPLETE control of the shot

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: The essence of having COMPLETE control of the shot

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Of course having posted the above I went out this afternoon and was reminded I can suck with the best (worst) of them. If there'd been a lake I think I'd have pitched my bow and arrows into it, come home and made a bonfire with the rest. GRRRRR.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Bender » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:54 pm

That happens. All I can say is that when it is like that, just STOP. Don't waste time trying to just "shoot through it." It ain't gonna get better. I assure you of that. Plus it may be only ingraining bad habits. It took me a few years to learn this. Sometimes the best "practice" is to just put it down and come back tomorrow.
Bender

Postby tradspirit » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:35 am

I agree with all of the above, but at the risk of sounding like a pretentious zen practitioner, I have found that at the conclusion of taking that all important heart shot, I find that when successful, I feel totally "out of control" of the shot. I often have no recollection of my shot sequence, the range, the draw, the release, etc. or all of the other stuff that often clutters my mind when I practice in my backyard. I shoot using Hank's method, and have made successful shots on animals at ranges and elevations that I have not "practised" before, and of course I mean ranges that are ethically appropriate for my experience level. Yet put me on a foam target where the shot perhaps doesn't have the potential for wounding and I do everything by the numbers. I'm not complaining and sure don't want to dwell on it an mess up a good thing....
Jim
tradspirit

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:16 am

:lol: :lol:

Isn't THAT exactly what we want, to have the sequence so ingrained that it takes care of itself in that kind of situation? I'm sure hoping that's the end result of all this work--anyway. :)
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby woodsman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Jim... How are you doing with your shooting?? Is the Wall Drill helping? I know I had a terrible time letting-down when I first started.. That un-controllable urge to release is tough to beat.

Chris
woodsman

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Yep, it sure is, but I'm doing well. Appreciate your asking. If you check out the last few posts on the "Bridge" thread, I think you'll see about where I am. I'm still getting an uncontrollable #$%%# jerk now and again, but for the most part, I'm coming along nicely. :)
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby woodsman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Good for Jim, glad to hear you've got it going your way.

Chris
woodsman

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum