Skip to content

Parachute Effect

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Parachute Effect

Postby LBR » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:02 am

I've seen video of this, but don't remember where. Anyone got a link?

Chad
LBR

Re: Parachute Effect

Postby Bender » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Just tried a search. Nothing. That would be a good vid to save if anybody can find it.
Bender

Postby LBR » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Yeah--it's bugging the snot out of me. I've got Ray at BCY working on it right now. I know I've seen it, heard some top shots talking about it.

Chad
LBR

Postby daohead » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:22 am

By "Parchute Effect" do you mean drag on an arrow cause by helical fletching?
daohead

Postby LBR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:50 am

It's when an untwisted (endless) string flares out at release, like a parachute. Slows it down, adds noise. Can only be seen with high-speed video.
LBR

Postby rwsbow » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:35 am

Might want to also check under "ballooning" effect....
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby BK in TEXAS » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 am

LBR wrote:It's when an untwisted (endless) string flares out at release, like a parachute. Slows it down, adds noise.

Huh.........I'll take "Things I didn't know for a $1000, Alex" :?
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby whump » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Whump Sez; I have seen that on slomo before but I think I have only made 2 strings in my day that didn't require twisting. I was a b5o fan for years on Hill bows so I always made my strings about 15 or 16 strands and held them as close to length as possible. After the stretching was over I twisted them up to proper brace and that was that, I did however make one too short one time and I shot it without twists for several years.[ Enter Fast flight] I made a 16 strand string out of fast flight using the same line of thinking and wound up with a string with one twist in it. Personally I think the arrow is on its way before the ballooning and seperating goes on but I can't remember since I saw that vid several years ago. Besides my Hill bow shoots so slow It would be hard to determine if a ballooning string was hurting the situation, I do however shoot 675- 700gns from the 60 lb Hill bow so arrows are not screaming off the string anyway. Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Gino Bruno » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:11 pm

i thought viper said that twisting the string screws things up. :D ;)
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby LBR » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Well, I've talked to a few people that know the video I'm talking about, but nobody can remember where they saw it. Oh well...no big deal. At least I know if I just dreamed about it, several others had the same dream.

Chad
LBR

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum